Is Sheffield Bigger Than Manchester?

And also Trafford which is home to Man Utd and the Cricket Ground - it would be like saying Hillsborough, Wadsley Bridge, Parsons Cross and Grenoside weren't in Sheffield (not to mention Stocksbridge, Chapeltown etc out to the North).

But those places are in Sheffield, and Trafford is not in Manchester.

And also Trafford which is home to Man Utd and the Cricket Ground - it would be like saying Hillsborough, Wadsley Bridge, Parsons Cross and Grenoside weren't in Sheffield (not to mention Stocksbridge, Chapeltown etc out to the North).

Get an idea why Manchester is a regional centre and Sheffield isn't;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester

surely it would be like if Rotherham, Barnsley and Chesterfield all joined up with Sheffield rather than there being a distinct thinning out between Sheffield and Rotherham and clear green space between Sheffield and Barnsley / Chesterfield ... iirc Salford is a City in it;s own right

surely it would be like if Rotherham, Barnsley and Chesterfield all joined up with Sheffield rather than there being a distinct thinning out between Sheffield and Rotherham and clear green space between Sheffield and Barnsley / Chesterfield ... iirc Salford is a City in it;s own right

Well said :(

Rubydazzler, No desire to live anywhere but Sheffield, this city has everything I would ever want and more. Just saying that compared to Manchester it's smaller, how is that dissing Sheffield ? Manchester divides into boroughs a bit like London does with the City at it's core. I'm not referring to Oldham, Stockport etc. London for example has the City and City of Westminster cheek by jowl, but it's still London

I agree. And if you speak highly of another town or city or a feature of another city its only on this forum you see the childish reply "well if you like it so much, why don't you go and live there". :rolleyes:

Bet it made your day finding another trolling opportunity to slag off Sheffield.

You've moved away to 'The Wirrall' lol but just can't leave it can you?

You must lead such a sad existance :loopy:

Rubydazzler, No desire to live anywhere but Sheffield, this city has everything I would ever want and more. Just saying that compared to Manchester it's smaller, how is that dissing Sheffield ? Manchester divides into boroughs a bit like London does with the City at it's core. I'm not referring to Oldham, Stockport etc. London for example has the City and City of Westminster cheek by jowl, but it's still London
But the topic is that you're discussing discrete 'cities' and the fact of the matter is that the City of Sheffield has a higher population and a greater square mileage than the City of Manchester. I grant you that the Greater Manchester conurbation is vast and takes in several other nearby towns/cities as well, but that's not the topic.

Whether or not people think it doesn't have the big city vibe of Manchester is irrelevant, it's still bigger and so are Leeds and Liverpool.

Most Mancs have rather large egos. And the place reeks of drugs. I'm quite glad we have the pennines between us. I will never drive on the snake pass to meet a bunch of sloped headed morons.

Oasis are rubbish as well. Artic Monkeys blow them away.

Opines?

You are a Stockport resident then?

Wikipedia, which quotes the individual councils themselves.

You've got to compare like with like. Either compare the metropolitan district of Manchester with the metropolitan district of Sheffield, or compare the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester with the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire. You can't compare a Greater Manchester with Sheffield District.

The city admin boundaries are really only observed by the small-minded,and all people know that Manchester outranks the Sheffield village.It has an airport,houses much of the BBC,its teams occupy the top two places in the PL,and is the third or fourth city in the UK.

It's a bit like saying London is smaller than Sheffield because the City of London is smaller or Westminster is smaller. When you're in Manchester you may have just wandered into Salford which is regarded as a seperate city. Trafford where Man Utd play is also not included in Manchesters demographics and suburbs like Droylsden and Denton for example are considered Tameside. Oldham is about 6 miles from Piccadily and I think Stockport is about the same. That's before you get to Bury, Rochdale, Bolton etc. It's just one huge urban mass

So you see it's a bit of an anomaly to say Shefffield is bigger than Manchester

Barnsley, Chesterfield and Donny are quite seperate places from Sheffield Rotherhams closer

Spot on sir..........

Archived