Is Sheffield Bigger Than Manchester?

Maybe you should stick to talking about xbox games on the Computer Chat thread, that seems to be your limit!

Crikey - stalking me now :help:

No need to contribute any more than others have said in the fact that Sheffield City IS bigger and more populous than Manchester. Facts are facts.

A real tell that Manchester is at least as nationally and internationally significant than Sheffield is the fact that there are definitely less arguments between Mancs about whether their city is bigger or smaller than Sheffield.

Sheffielders really do embarrass ourselves with discussions such as these.

Good post, and true.

No need to contribute any more than others have said in the fact that Sheffield City IS bigger and more populous than Manchester. Facts are facts.

So why not reply to these quotes then which criticise Sheffield:

It seems quite odd that you single out my post when I didn't even criticise the city. Perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder, or a feeling of inferiority.

It obviously depends how you measure city size. We've had this thread a hundred times before.

If it's purely on population within the local authority districts with those names then yes, Sheff is bigger. But that is a quirk of our local government system (that is overdue for reform, but there are no votes in it so it never happens). It doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you visit those places or show visitors around them. Manchester is the capital of an English region (the NW), it's the second city of England (Birmingham would argue that it also has this status), it has a very large travel-to-work area, an important international airport, art galleries, the BBC etc etc. It has 10 constituent boroughs (much like a smaller version of London), plus all the posh bits that are still in Cheshire that didn't want to join Greater Manchester.

Sheff is great, but we need to understand where it sits in importance in England/UK. We're behind Nottingham and Leeds as they are both regional centres. We are on the next rung down. Nottm has loads of silly little council districts round it which really need to be included into the City itself (local govt reform needed).

Regardless of the stats Sheffield to me doesn't 'feel' like a city, its more of a small town with a big chip on its shoulder which is insecure about its size.

I totally agree, Sheffielders have such delusions of grandeur, and the whole Sheffield vs Leeds thing makes us look like ikkle babies.

Having worked in Manchester for the last couple of years, I would have to say that Manchester is much bigger than Sheffield and unfortunately, for shopping, nightlife, culture etc it is much better.

Sheffield's saving grace is it's location, the people and relative safety for a big city.

A real tell that Manchester is at least as nationally and internationally significant than Sheffield is the fact that there are definitely less arguments between Mancs about whether their city is bigger or smaller than Sheffield.

Sheffielders really do embarrass ourselves with discussions such as these.

Obviously you have never been Manchester .There is about 5 motorways in this area . And numerous satalite towns biger than sheffield . Yours is a question that always creates controvousy regarding population etc . But reailty is you could walk across Sheffield in about 6 hours its nothing more than a big village :hihi::hihi::hihi: You ever heard of Manchester Airport . Sheffield is is just about hanging on to its own helicopter :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Does "Manchester" in the threat title refer to the urban conurbation, mostly contained within the Greater Manchester metropolitan district, which is known by shorthand as "Manchester" ... or does it specifically mean the city?

Decide which question you're asking, and you have your answer. "Manchester" is vastly bigger than Sheffield, but the technical boundaries of the City of Manchester make it smaller.

See my last post. Greater Manchester is a metropolitan county, South Yorkshire is a metropolitan county, each of them has boundaries, and neither of them is a city.

So why not reply to these quotes then which criticise Sheffield:

It seems quite odd that you single out my post when I didn't even criticise the city. Perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder, or a feeling of inferiority.

Neither actually.

Certainly no chip on shoulder and nothings ever given me reason to feel inferior.

Archived