Urban Explorer climbs Shard - Britains tallest building

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/faster-higher-stronger-the-olympic-training-regime-of--man-who-climbed-the-shard-7628059.html

Quite shocking with the Olympics just round the corner and the threats of terrorist attacks looming, the City Of London has many 'private' streets and their own private Police force employed to police them and stop you protesting or taking pictures if they wish, but yet they can't stop some dude climbing UK's tallest tower!

Security has always been shocking. I remember being able to get into the sub-basement of a major Manchester hotel which was used when Gordon Brown was crowned PM. We also managed to get onto several rooftops the same day. The police helicopter flew about but did nothing.

As for construction Vs. complete, you'd be amazed at how you can stroll past security wearing a smart suit and your camera equipment in a briefcase.

Security is only as good as the weakest link - which happens to be a security guard on minimum wage.

Security has always been shocking. I remember being able to get into the sub-basement of a major Manchester hotel which was used when Gordon Brown was crowned PM. We also managed to get onto several rooftops the same day. The police helicopter flew about but did nothing.

As for construction Vs. complete, you'd be amazed at how you can stroll past security wearing a smart suit and your camera equipment in a briefcase.

Security is only as good as the weakest link - which happens to be a security guard on minimum wage.

As a bit of a urban explorer myself I've sometimes been amazed how easy it is to sneak into places, I recently manged to get into the Barbican estate, blatantly walked past security with strangers who had key fobs.

Once in there i walked round for at least half an hour and could've easily have planted something like a bomb if i was that way inclined.

I personally think it a lot of it depends on how you look, if you blend in and have a bit of cheek 9/10 times you'll be fine, If I had looked Muslim, or was black, or wore an Adidas tracksuit then I probably would have been arrested.

As a bit of a urban explorer myself I've sometimes been amazed how easy it is to sneak into places, I recently manged to get into the Barbican estate, blatantly walked past security with strangers who had key fobs.

Once in there i walked round for at least half an hour and could've easily have planted something like a bomb if i was that way inclined.

I personally think it a lot of it depends on how you look, if you blend in and have a bit of cheek 9/10 times you'll be fine, If I had looked Muslim, or was black, or wore an Adidas tracksuit then I probably would have been arrested.

They're called shops and you're allowed in, that's how it works :hihi:

Archived