Visual proof of how over populated the UK is

The water in the tabs in Sheffield comes from the reservoirs in the peak district (and the more local ones) that are filled by rainwater (and sheep wee).

The water in bottles comes from very similar sources, natural springs and the like, which are supplied by rainwater and sheep wee.

Well...actually since Yorkshire Water have completed their Water Grid, they now blend water from across the region, which is why long time residents will have noticed that Sheffield's well known soft water isn't what it once was. So now we get a blend of North Yorkshire river abstractions (drunk and excreted and cleaned a few times before) and East Yorkshire's groundwater (contaminated with all sorts of pesticides and phosphates and heavy industrial chemicals).

Also, depending on where you are in the city, you will get a different blend (more or less dominated by the nicer reservoir water). You can check out your local blend at the YW website, including where the majority of it is sourced from.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/extra-services/in-your-area.aspx

There is a very interesting website that gives you a nice visual image of how populated the planet is. Give it a go yourself and see how long it takes for the whole of the UK to vanish. Take note at how much of the world is left when the UK finally disappears.

It goes to show how populated our country is compared to the rest of the world.

http://www.dwtkns.com/density/

On the other hand, look how quickly some parts of the UK disappear... It's visual proof of high population density in parts of the country, not proof of overpopulation...

I have a better picture... taken from the Suomi NPP satellite a couple of months ago it shows most of Asia and Europe shrouded in cloud with the British Isles uncharacteristically languishing under clear skies. When you zoom in you will notice just how much of the UK is green rolling hillside, even that London only appears as a faint brown splodge.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/660720main_blue_marble_arctic_full_full.jpg

Doesn't look particularly overcrowded to me...

jb

Well...actually since Yorkshire Water have completed their Water Grid, they now blend water from across the region, which is why long time residents will have noticed that Sheffield's well known soft water isn't what it once was. So now we get a blend of North Yorkshire river abstractions (drunk and excreted and cleaned a few times before) and East Yorkshire's groundwater (contaminated with all sorts of pesticides and phosphates and heavy industrial chemicals).

Also, depending on where you are in the city, you will get a different blend (more or less dominated by the nicer reservoir water). You can check out your local blend at the YW website, including where the majority of it is sourced from.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/extra-services/in-your-area.aspx

Is this the majority supply for me then? What does that mean?

Supply zone: Moonshine Ewden 2004

Is this the majority supply for me then? What does that mean?

Supply zone: Moonshine Ewden 2004

Moonshine Ewden is one of the water supply zones in Sheffield. In each WSZ the blend of water and source is slightly different, often coming from different treatment plants. If you can tell me how to attach files on here, I'll put up a Google Earth file for you to download and see for yourself.

The housing shortage provides better evidence that we are over populated. We even have shanty towns appearing in parts of London now.

Most of the UK is countryside though - would be really trivial to solve the housing shortage, if not for NIMBYism and the desire to make everyone live in the SE.

Most of the UK is countryside though - would be really trivial to solve the housing shortage, if not for NIMBYism and the desire to make everyone live in the SE.

It's not just a case of people/sq mile though...what about other resources..food,water,leccy,gas,health,education, roads etc.etc

It's not just a case of people/sq mile though...what about other resources..food,water,leccy,gas,health,education, roads etc.etc

The problem is not enough housing for the *existing* population. So more housing does not imply any increase in any of the resources you mention, except to connect in roads and utilities to new developments.

The problem is not enough housing for the *existing* population. So more housing does not imply any increase in any of the resources you mention, except to connect in roads and utilities to new developments.

OK Misunderstood..thought you were saying we could have even more people here without problem..

Moonshine Ewden is one of the water supply zones in Sheffield. In each WSZ the blend of water and source is slightly different, often coming from different treatment plants. If you can tell me how to attach files on here, I'll put up a Google Earth file for you to download and see for yourself.

You'd need to use rapidshare or another file hosting website like that and then provide a link to the file.

How does google earth tell you what the supply is for a specific zone though?

You'd need to use rapidshare or another file hosting website like that and then provide a link to the file.

How does google earth tell you what the supply is for a specific zone though?

It doesn't - I used some of the Yorkshire Water maps provided in the links and spent a few hours drawing them on Google Earth to help with my research.

Try this for your water supply zone on Google Earth:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qog9v5czx09ud3r

Archived