Visual proof of how over populated the UK is

If you look on your water suppliers site, which i pointed you to, you will find the information,

I did look. I also asked you for a link to the information, but for some reason you prefer to talk around it and play stupid (if you are playing).

abroadhead stated that the water supplies across the region are blended.

I looked up my supply and found that it was from the moonhead ewden supply. It doesn't state though whether that is a blended source or not, it does say that when necessary they will move supplies around.

It's abroadhead I was asking for some link or evidence that the water is blended routinely and is not from the local reservoir sources.

You are the one who can't follow information, it's wasted on you, just turn the tap on, or in your case buy the cheap bottled supermarket variety, see if you notice a difference.

Again I'm not sure you really understand what we're talking about.

Goodness me, there are some people on here that just seem to want to cause arguments! Without trying to hijack the topic of this thread, I'll post this once more.

Each water company will allow you to usually query the tap water chemistry along with additional information for your postcode. So for Yorkshire Water you'd get this summary table for this random postcode: here.

There is a link on that page for YW that gives you the actual data for that Water Supply Zone: here. This is for the Fullwood Water Supply Zone and gives you a low resolution map and more water chemistry data. It also tells you a little more about the sources. I quote: "The water supplied to the zone is classified as being soft water, which is reservoir derived. As we have a grid system in place whereby we can move water around the Yorkshire region as required, occasionally the hardness of your water may vary."

There are several Water Supply Zones in Sheffield and the water chemistry varies markedly between them, even when only a street separates them. The Google Earth map I supplied simply provides you a better map than the ones in those Yorkshire Water reports to help visualise the different areas, which are not always entirely logical (e.g. the Manor WSZ is split by another WSZ). Apologies if I suggested the map itself would supply the information - I didn't bother attaching that. I have done extensive testing as part of my PhD research on the tap water quality to be able to back this up.

I've collated the Water Supply Zone data sheets here though for general interest (perhaps I should put it as a new thread?).

You won't get a precise breakdown of the sources supplying each WSZ as this varies on a daily and seasonal basis. Yorkshire Water invested in a large Water Grid to transfer potable water across the region in a piped network. This means that although much of Sheffield is characterised by reservoir water from the Peak Districts, and although the reservoirs you are in often supply your particular valley, it is not quite as simple as that. Many of the reservoirs you see on the outskirts of the city are not used for potable supply, but are used to maintain water flows in the rivers during drought. Increasingly, the reservoir softwater from Sheffield's Peak District Millstone Grit reservoirs is blended with groundwater from eastern parts of the region (hardwater) and river abstractions from further north (medium hardness). This is done to a) balance out resources across the region and b) to create a blend of water that is neither particularly hard nor particularly soft. The latter point is also helps dilute out pesticides and phosphorus that are present in small enough quantities that are difficult and expensive to develop water treatment for, but in large enough quantities that would require dilution to avoid failing drinking water standards. The former point explains the reason for the variations over time, and hence why they only give the approximate sources in the Water Supply Zone details. I am confident in my answer and in my dealings with Yorkshire Water and other researchers - but trying to get the actual information from Yorkshire Water itself is difficult and not widely available, however easy some posters seem to think it might be - they clearly don't quite understand the conversation.

Goodness me, there are some people on here that just seem to want to cause arguments! Without trying to hijack the topic of this thread, I'll post this once more.

Each water company will allow you to usually query the tap water chemistry along with additional information for your postcode. So for Yorkshire Water you'd get this summary table for this random postcode: here.

There is a link on that page for YW that gives you the actual data for that Water Supply Zone: here. This is for the Fullwood Water Supply Zone and gives you a low resolution map and more water chemistry data. It also tells you a little more about the sources. I quote: "The water supplied to the zone is classified as being soft water, which is reservoir derived. As we have a grid system in place whereby we can move water around the Yorkshire region as required, occasionally the hardness of your water may vary."

There are several Water Supply Zones in Sheffield and the water chemistry varies markedly between them, even when only a street separates them. The Google Earth map I supplied simply provides you a better map than the ones in those Yorkshire Water reports to help visualise the different areas, which are not always entirely logical (e.g. the Manor WSZ is split by another WSZ). Apologies if I suggested the map itself would supply the information - I didn't bother attaching that. I have done extensive testing as part of my PhD research on the tap water quality to be able to back this up.

I've collated the Water Supply Zone data sheets here though for general interest (perhaps I should put it as a new thread?).

You won't get a precise breakdown of the sources supplying each WSZ as this varies on a daily and seasonal basis. Yorkshire Water invested in a large Water Grid to transfer potable water across the region in a piped network. This means that although much of Sheffield is characterised by reservoir water from the Peak Districts, and although the reservoirs you are in often supply your particular valley, it is not quite as simple as that. Many of the reservoirs you see on the outskirts of the city are not used for potable supply, but are used to maintain water flows in the rivers during drought. Increasingly, the reservoir softwater from Sheffield's Peak District Millstone Grit reservoirs is blended with groundwater from eastern parts of the region (hardwater) and river abstractions from further north (medium hardness). This is done to a) balance out resources across the region and b) to create a blend of water that is neither particularly hard nor particularly soft. The latter point is also helps dilute out pesticides and phosphorus that are present in small enough quantities that are difficult and expensive to develop water treatment for, but in large enough quantities that would require dilution to avoid failing drinking water standards. The former point explains the reason for the variations over time, and hence why they only give the approximate sources in the Water Supply Zone details. I am confident in my answer and in my dealings with Yorkshire Water and other researchers - but trying to get the actual information from Yorkshire Water itself is difficult and not widely available, however easy some posters seem to think it might be - they clearly don't quite understand the conversation.

I have the history of Sheffield water supply from it's early days, including descriptions and construction of the reservoirs.

I did look. I also asked you for a link to the information, but for some reason you prefer to talk around it and play stupid (if you are playing).

abroadhead stated that the water supplies across the region are blended.

I looked up my supply and found that it was from the moonhead ewden supply. It doesn't state though whether that is a blended source or not, it does say that when necessary they will move supplies around.

It's abroadhead I was asking for some link or evidence that the water is blended routinely and is not from the local reservoir sources.

Again I'm not sure you really understand what we're talking about.

As Sheffield has no shortage of water I don't see a need for it to have water brought in so no need for blending, although there is a difference in the water now supplied, brown iron deposits? something that was not in Sheffield water of old, I put this down to possible runoff from old mine workings or a change in filtration.

As Sheffield has no shortage of water I don't see a need for it to have water brought in so no need for blending, although there is a difference in the water now supplied, brown iron deposits? something that was not in Sheffield water of old, I put this down to possible runoff from old mine workings or a change in filtration.

I don't see much of a need for it either, but there we go. The iron deposits from the local mine workings is spot on. You will often see what looks like brown sludge in the streams, but it's actually hard iron ochre deposits. There is some particularly acidic mine drainage in the area too - around pH 2.5-3 in places. All this is because the groundwaters are rising after many decades of artificial lowering due to the coal workings in the city centre and outskirts. No longer used, they have started to recover their water levels and this brings out the mine drainage in places. It is still low enough in most places that it isn't a serious problem yet, but in the next few decades they'll either have to switch the groundwater pumps back on or deal with the acid mine drainage.

Unless they are moving it around for the reasons outlined above, those being in order to dilute some pollutants to below the threshold limits and thus make the water potable without using expensive treatment on it.

Did you hear about a drought earlier in the year,

"Even if wet weather is still on the cards this year, the longer term outlook remains problematic as an expanding population and rising demands on water resources are putting increasing strain on the UK's water supply, according to the Institution of Civil Engineers. The institution is calling on ministers to introduce compulsory water meters with differential pricing."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jun/07/drought-risk-wet-weather-rain

Archived