Visual proof of how over populated the UK is

If it's the government of the country that are causing the problem, refusing to buy the cash crop won't stop the starvation will it.

If the land owner and government had no one to sell to, they wouldn't grow a cash crop, the land would then be available to grow a food crop, and if we don’t buy it, their own people will be able to buy it.

My opinion comes from comparison to the rest of the world. The UK is one of the last countries to disappear form the graphic. This coupled with the trade deficit tells me we are overpopulated.

what evidence do you have to prove we are not over populated?

A small part of America isn't to far behind us before it disappears, and they've got a trade deficit, so by your standards you'd also suggest that the USA is over populated.

Obviously the USA is not over populated, so I think that your conclusions are misplaced as the chart that you've linked to only shows that small parts of the UK is over populated, and the trade gap is only a reflection of how our economy is structured

If the land owner and government had no one to sell to, they wouldn't grow a cash crop, the land would then be available to grow a food crop, and if we don’t buy it, their own people will be able to buy it.

On the other hand, refusing to buy a cash crop when they aren't starving doesn't make any sense (not even with your convoluted moral logic).

So refusing to buy it when a famine occurs won't help as it's too late to change over to a food crop at that point.

And refusing to buy it all the time isn't any more moral, you'd be depriving the entire country of most of it's income.

Urban and built on are two different things. The Focus on People and Migration, government report back in 2005 said the UK was 8.9% Urban. my 10% is the government figure of what is build-able in the UK.

If that's the only figure you can find but still do not believe it, there is little I or anyone can do to convince you if you refuse to believe the evidence you have found yourself.

I didn't say I don't believe it. Do you normally just make things up in order to respond to them?

My opinion comes from comparison to the rest of the world.

So like I said back at the start, it's entirely arbitray.

The UK is one of the last countries to disappear form the graphic.

A small speck of the UK is one of the last to disappear, the large majority of it has disappeared much earlier on.

This coupled with the trade deficit tells me we are overpopulated.
No it doesn't, that's just the conclusion you erroneously draw from it. What it actually tells you is that part of the UK is quite heavily populated when compared to the rest of the world.

what evidence do you have to prove we are not over populated?

I haven't claimed we aren't. I've said that you are drawing a conclusion that isn't logically supported, I still say that. The graphic tells you absolutely nothing at all to do with overpopulation.

That's no answer. Where is all this spare land & numerous resources in the UK? Unless you're thinking of building on every last scrap of greenery & countryside.

All you are doing is questioning the blindingly obvious. If you got out more and travelled the country you would see very big spaces between areas of dense occupation. The idea that we are short of land and resources is absurd and you have provided no evidence to support the assertion that we have a problem. You are assuming a large population is a problem. All you have is a fancy web page graphic. You don't even know where they got their data from. For all you know they made it up or twisted it for their own purpose.

NEW INDEX HIGHLIGHTS MOST OVERPOPULATED COUNTRIES

Singapore is the world’s most overpopulated state, followed by Israel and Kuwait, according to a new league table ranking countries by their degree of overpopulation. The UK is 17thin the table.

A UK citizen, for example, has an average ecological footprint of 6.12 global hectares but because of the size of the population, their “share” of national biocapacity is only 1.58 global hectares. This gives the UK a self-sufficiency rating of 25.8 per cent – the proportion of its footprint it derives from its own resources – and a corresponding dependency rating of 74.2 per cent. If it had to rely on its own biocapacity, the UK could therefore sustain only a quarter of its population – around 15 million – and at current consumption levels is “overpopulated” by more than 45 million (see table).

http://www.populationmedia.org/2010/07/11/new-index-highlights-most-overpopulated-countries/

NEW INDEX HIGHLIGHTS MOST OVERPOPULATED COUNTRIES

Singapore is the world’s most overpopulated state, followed by Israel and Kuwait, according to a new league table ranking countries by their degree of overpopulation. The UK is 17thin the table.

A UK citizen, for example, has an average ecological footprint of 6.12 global hectares but because of the size of the population, their “share” of national biocapacity is only 1.58 global hectares. This gives the UK a self-sufficiency rating of 25.8 per cent – the proportion of its footprint it derives from its own resources – and a corresponding dependency rating of 74.2 per cent. If it had to rely on its own biocapacity, the UK could therefore sustain only a quarter of its population – around 15 million – and at current consumption levels is “overpopulated” by more than 45 million (see table).

http://www.populationmedia.org/2010/07/11/new-index-highlights-most-overpopulated-countries/

Uk overpopulated by 45 million people!!!! That's very high and much higher than I thought.

Data here: https://docs.google.com/a/populationmedia.org/fileview?id=0B5F-idWfw7TeNWZiNjJlMmMtNTAwZC00ZjBmLWE0MzQtYmQyMTg2NTU5N2Rl&authkey=CPump9UC&hl=en

Although I see no source for where these figures originate.

On the other hand, refusing to buy a cash crop when they aren't starving doesn't make any sense (not even with your convoluted moral logic).

So refusing to buy it when a famine occurs won't help as it's too late to change over to a food crop at that point.

And refusing to buy it all the time isn't any more moral, you'd be depriving the entire country of most of it's income.

For as long as I can remember people in Africa have been dying because of lack of food and clean water, yet for all this time we have been importing, food flowers, coffee from Africa, their lack of food is nothing to do with a drought, and everything to do with the fact that we can pay more for what they grow, so it is sold to us and not used to feed the people that need food.

For as long as I can remember people in Africa have been dying because of lack of food and clean water, yet for all this time we have been importing, food flowers, coffee from Africa, their lack of food is nothing to do with a drought, and everything to do with the fact that we can pay more for what they grow, so it is sold to us and not used to feed the people that need food.

Remember the Ethiopia crisis back in the mid 80's? Remember all the money that was raised to help the starving masses? Do you know where the food came from? It came from Ethiopia, bought from parts of the country that was not effected by the drought.

Archived