Fracking gets green light

The government just announced that they will allow exploitation of shale gas and petroleum by the process commonly known as fracking.

That's great news for our balance of payments, jobs, gas and oil prices, and last but not least, means lots of work for me. Thought I'd better declare my interest, but all the other positives still apply.

This could be another North Sea to allow us to be able to spend our way to prosperity again.

It would be great if what you say is true, but according to Andrew Rawnsleys article in Sundays' Observer, 50 experimental wells have so far been drilled across Europe (most of which is supposed to have more favourable shale types to the UK) and not a single well has produced flow rates which are comercially viable.

To make such claims at this point is jumping the gun a little to put it mildly!

That is great news.The Government can now sell it abroad to make even more money and we will still have to pay the same as we are now.Nothing will change.

Nice one TC i couldn't have put it better myself,just as they did with all the natural gas that was going to be so much cheaper for us all in the 60s.

In which case it would bring in income to the UK. Can't lose really.

Nope. Absolutely you can lose. If the long-term costs of fracking-related environmental damage outstrip the short-term financial and economic gains.

The companies that extract the gas will be long gone when communities affected by fracking are still dealing with the aftermath. And there will be a lot of communities affected with most of England currently being reviewed for suitability for fracking.

The only way you can't lose is if you have a corporate or mercenary attitude to making financial gain from it.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 00:16 ----------

What a typical chip on't shoulder little northerner question.

There's a shytload of shale gas in the south, especially in the Home Counties. Happy?

Here's a map - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/03/article-2227344-15D4713A000005DC-573_306x522.jpg

Nice. When you're contracting down there you can wash down your fois gras with some organic ale. I wish I could tell you to frack off down south and don't come back but I have the feeling you'll be busy fracking the north before you get anywhere near fracking the south.

In which case it would bring in income to the UK. Can't lose really.

How. The gas won't belong to "the UK", it will belong to, and be sold by Cuadrilla.

Unless you are proposing we Nationalise fracking.

All those supporting this process would soon change their tune if it was happening near them.

Nope. Absolutely you can lose. If the long-term costs of fracking-related environmental damage outstrip the short-term financial and economic gains.

The companies that extract the gas will be long gone when communities affected by fracking are still dealing with the aftermath. And there will be a lot of communities affected with most of England currently being reviewed for suitability for fracking.

The only way you can't lose is if you have a corporate or mercenary attitude to making financial gain from it.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 00:16 ----------

Nice. When you're contracting down there you can wash down your fois gras with some organic ale. I wish I could tell you to frack off down south and don't come back but I have the feeling you'll be busy fracking the north before you get anywhere near fracking the south.

The next licenses to be used are for Sussex, Surry and Kent.

What environmental damage is it that you're worried about? I've some across a lot of panic that turns out to be just that rather than concern about facts.

The next licenses to be used are for Sussex, Surry and Kent.

What environmental damage is it that you're worried about? I've some across a lot of panic that turns out to be just that rather than concern about facts.

The key environmental issues are not necessarily with contamination of the water table from the fracking itself - it looks like it happens too deep for that.

The problems seem to be with well integrity failures, casings etc... and with the contol of the toxic chemicals used for fracking. Massive quantities of chemicals need to be moved to fracking sites, safely stored on-site and then removed afterwards.

Also, the vast quantities of water required. Where is that going to come from? We already regularly experience drought.

Archived