Fracking gets green light

Having the power to run the computer is the best argument made for the development of power sources,

where is the hand wringing for the pollution caused by wind farms.

We need power supplies of course but not at any cost. In UK the case for gas mining is not proven, and may be even weaker than the case for on-shore wind farms.

We need power supplies of course but not at any cost. In UK the case for gas mining is not proven, and may be even weaker than the case for on-shore wind farms.

And then again it may be the best thing since sliced bread...we need to give it a chance..

The next licenses to be used are for Sussex, Surry and Kent.

What environmental damage is it that you're worried about? I've some across a lot of panic that turns out to be just that rather than concern about facts.

Experience has taught me to beware of claims made by companies who see profit as more important than the dangers involved in making those profits. Just like the politicians at every hustings they will tell us what they think we want to hear.

I'm not saying I'm against fracking. I'm saying that I'm not at all convinced by the statements Caudrilla are making. My jury is out at the moment.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2011/11/04/Caudrilla-Shale-drilling-caused-quakes/UPI-44821320401700/

How. The gas won't belong to "the UK", it will belong to, and be sold by Cuadrilla.

Unless you are proposing we Nationalise fracking.

All those supporting this process would soon change their tune if it was happening near them.

We don't need to nationalise the hydrocarbons under Britain, they already belong to the government. They sell a license to Cuadrilla (or whoever) to exploit the resources under an area of land.

I'm not sure how it works after that. Either 51% of the oil still belongs to the government or the oil companies are taxed on their production. You could ask a taxman.

I wouldn't object to a gas site near me, but the government need to write into the regulations that every site needs to be restored to greenfield once the gas is depleted. They do this already in Germany and Holland and you would never even know that there had once been a drilling site there.

How. The gas won't belong to "the UK", it will belong to, and be sold by Cuadrilla.

For someone claiming to be a taxman you have scant knowledge of how our tax & licensing system works.

All those supporting this process would soon change their tune if it was happening near them.

But I'll bet you'd be all for it if it were an open cast coal mine or a deep pit causing subsidence and leaving massive spoil tips around the country.

But I'll bet you'd be all for it if it were an open cast coal mine or a deep pit causing subsidence and leaving massive spoil tips around the country.

:loopy:

No, why would I, don't be so stupid?

I'm not in favour of anything that causes earthquakes and water pollution, and neither would you be if it happened near you.

:loopy:

No, why would I, don't be so stupid?

I'm not in favour of anything that causes earthquakes and water pollution, and neither would you be if it happened near you.

So you are not in favour of oil, gas, fracking, coal mining, shale, and presumably any type of mineral extraction.

Just how would you like the UK to generate power in the next 50 years.

And for someone claiming to be a taxman you have scant knowledge of how our tax & licensing system works.

Neither am I, but I'm in favour of unconventional gas. I'm sure the reports of water pollution from the USA are true, at least some of them. We should easily be able to avoid this by our stricter regulations.

And as for the two earthquakes caused by fracking at Blackpool by Cuadrilla, they were of such a tiny magnitude that no one felt them. The magnitude has been likened to that of a hand grenade. That's a hand grenade under 8000 feet of rock, no wonder no one felt anything.

What's your main objection to the exploitation of shale gas?

This article in The Register is very good and tackles the objections raised by anti-fracking campaigners, a recommended read -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/14/gaia_violated_by_frackers/

Archived