Fracking gets green light

Try progressing without it, better still let us know your alternative.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. We may have to short-term if there are enough resources that can be used economically and safely. As I said earlier the real key questions, the issues that will really impact communities, don't seem to be on the table for discussion. I'm glad it's not happening in my back yard though.

In terms of real progress obviously we need to be looking at strategic alternatives to fossil fuels.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it. We may have to short-term if there are enough resources that can be used economically and safely. As I said earlier the real key questions, the issues that will really impact communities, don't seem to be on the table for discussion. I'm glad it's not happening in my back yard though.

In terms of real progress obviously we need to be looking at strategic alternatives to fossil fuels.

So come on then give us some,

chuck another greeny on the fire would be my alternative before they have us back to the stone age.

So come on then give us some,

chuck another greeny on the fire would be my alternative before they have us back to the stone age.

The reality is that we're dependent on fossil fuels for decades and decades to come. I'm not arguing anything else. We'll have to continue to gradually transition to other forms of energy, and as we do we'll have to find less wasteful ways of using remaining fossil resources. Renewables haver to be a big part of that. We'll have to find more efficient ways of transmitting and storing energy too.

Try progressing without it, better still let us know your alternative.

We don't have to progress without it, we can import it and let other countries make all the mistakes for us until such a time as shale gas can be produced with minimal impact. With so many countries involved in this goldrush with little regard for the environment and health issues the markets will have plentiful supply ensuring that the cost of importing is minimal without risking our little islands and it's inhabitants.

Why the big rush, if this really is the way to go then ours will still be down there in 10 years time, we don't know the long term problems fracking will leave us with yet.

The reality is that we're dependent on fossil fuels for decades and decades to come. I'm not arguing anything else. We'll have to continue to gradually transition to other forms of energy, and as we do we'll have to find less wasteful ways of using remaining fossil resources. Renewables haver to be a big part of that. We'll have to find more efficient ways of transmitting and storing energy too.

So there is no magic bullet, make the most of what we have, why buy and import foreign when we have our own.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 19:31 ----------

We don't have to progress without it, we can import it and let other countries make all the mistakes for us until such a time as shale gas can be produced with minimal impact. With so many countries involved in this goldrush with little regard for the environment and health issues the markets will have plentiful supply ensuring that the cost of importing is minimal without risking our little islands and it's inhabitants.

Why the big rush, if this really is the way to go then ours will still be down there in 10 years time, we don't know the long term problems fracking will leave us with yet.

So it's okay if it's in their backyard, what happened to saving the planet.

So it's okay if it's in their backyard, what happened to saving the planet.

Well I'm all for saving the planet but failing that I'd prefer someone else's bit of the planet suffered all the potential problems of fracking before ours. Other countries are better placed to take the risk due to having a much greater and less populated land mass.

So there is no magic bullet, make the most of what we have, why buy and import foreign when we have our own.

There isn't a magic bullet because we have a massively wasteful consumerist society that demands vast quantities of cheap energy. That can't be changed overnight.

With regards to shale gas we don't really know if we have enough to make a difference. It's going to be some time before we know if we do. Even then it'll be years before we achieve any serious economic benefits. And even if the benefits appear real one serious above ground incident and it'll be killed off.

It's gone from nowhere to seemingly being an integral part of our future energy needs. The lobbying for it is intense and politicians seem to be fully onside. It looks like another coalition smash and grab.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 20:21 ----------

An interesting rant?

NoFreeWind - The Heavy Price We Pay for Windpower

http://www.nofreewind.com/

Wind power is just a small part of the mix, not a solution by itself. Nobody is arguing that it is the complete solution to our problems.

The government just announced that they will allow exploitation of shale gas and petroleum by the process commonly known as fracking.

That's great news for our balance of payments, jobs, gas and oil prices, and last but not least, means lots of work for me. Thought I'd better declare my interest, but all the other positives still apply.

This could be another North Sea to allow us to be able to spend our way to prosperity again.

I know some people are fracking livid about this, but I think it's fracking great!

Archived