Fracking gets green light

Why what sustainable and cleaner energies have they developed?

China:

Hydro. But at an environmental cost, e.g. in dam construction

Offshore wind.

But you have to offset that against massive use of coal, mostly using older and more polluting technology. They get almost 80% of their electricity from coal.

India

Even less developed than China

Why what sustainable and cleaner energies have they developed?

You're the one saying,

the availability of cheap fossil fuels has slowed our progress.

I'm the one saying,

Tell that to the Chinese and Indians they seem to be progressing.

Wouldn't have thought it was that hard to understand, they are using cheap fossil fuels.

Why do you think they are progressing and we're not.

You're the one saying,

I'm the one saying,

Tell that to the Chinese and Indians they seem to be progressing.

Wouldn't have thought it was that hard to understand, they are using cheap fossil fuels.

Why do you think they are progressing and we're not.

You can't just keep on and on constantly "progressing" in the traditional sense: its not sustainable because natural resources are finite.

You're the one saying,

No I haven’t, thats just your inability to read and understand a full sentence.

Here it is again for you, this time read it all.

Rapid human progress comes at times of greatest need so it’s likely that the availability of cheap fossil fuels has slowed our progress into more sustainable and cleaner energies.

Mains water IS drinking water. It's our household supply. Droughts are a real and regular problem in this country. Make no mistake. But despite that the water companies don't have a track record of fixing leaks. The UK has one of the highest levels of water stress (i.e. one of the lowest levels of availability of water per person) in the whole of the EU, with the south of the UK most badly affected.

If you're using the argument that we have plenty of water right now maybe you forgot that only 9 months ago large sections of the country were in drought. And will be again soon enough.

Yes there are environmental risks with all types of industry but time for perspective again - Caudrilla plan 800 sites in Lancashire alone. That is right next to towns and villages, not isolated out in the sea etc.. where most extraction currently takes place.

I remember the floods while the drought was still on too... hosepipe bans in places that were under 2ft of flood water. Any shortage of drinking water is usually caused by mismanagement, we get plenty of rain. Look at how much drinking water leaks from pipes... http://www.defra.gov.uk/statistics/environment/inland-water/iwfg13-leakage/

Will be in drought again soon enough? Where have you been for the last 9 months? The reservoirs are overflowing.

I said they can use sea water, it's actually preferable to fresh water, because they need it to be salty & it's unlikely they'd want to use mains water. Is there a sea water drought? Don't environmentalists complain that sea levels are rising?

I remember the floods while the drought was still on too... hosepipe bans in places that were under 2ft of flood water. Any shortage of drinking water is usually caused by mismanagement, we get plenty of rain. Look at how much drinking water leaks from pipes... http://www.defra.gov.uk/statistics/environment/inland-water/iwfg13-leakage/

Will be in drought again soon enough? Where have you been for the last 9 months? The reservoirs are overflowing.

I said they can use sea water, it's actually preferable to fresh water, because they need it to be salty & it's unlikely they'd want to use mains water. Is there a sea water drought? Don't environmentalists complain that sea levels are rising?

As for resevoirs being full now, they won't stay full for ever. Only a fool would claim that they would.

Water usage during fracking is once of the key environmental issues. Ed Davy's statement made it clear that water used must be from sustainable sources. Where fracking is less regulated, e.g. in the US, there have been issues with rivers and aquifers being heavily drained. Hopefully this aspect of the regulation will remain tough and our government won't give in to the fracking operators. The sea water idea sounds like it could be a good alternative - it would need serious infrastructure though and that could push up the cost of extracting the gas.

No I haven’t, thats just your inability to read and understand a full sentence.

Here it is again for you, this time read it all.

Perhaps you can tell us what these cleaner and more sustainable energies are,

then we can compare how the cheap fossil fuels have likely slowed our progress into their use, and how they compare in price.

Perhaps you can tell us what these cleaner and more sustainable energies are,

then we can compare how the cheap fossil fuels have likely slowed our progress into their use, and how they compare in price.

In terms of pollution some studies estimate that fracking could be dirtier than coal. So coal could be cleaner.

Archived