Fracking gets green light

They sell it to gas companies who then sell it to customers at a vast mark-up.

If you think domestic prices will suddenly fall you must be living on Mars.

Quite right. I remember when they started with gas from the North Sea. They were saying it would be so plentiful, it would be free...

Still we must keep on paying our taxes so they can 'build schools, hospitals, anything else that sounds fluffy-bunny.'

Not that they waste billions on foreign aid, illegal wars, ID schemes, NHS computers that never worked etc.

Far better to let North Sea gas run out and become dependent on Russia.

Much of our gas will be coming from Norway very soon, they have lots of it and don't use much, so they are building a pipeline and sending it here.

I'm not playing dumb at all. I'm the only person on this thread who knows anything about drilling a well.

You say things are red herrings. What's the meaning of that phrase in this context? :confused:

I've worked on onshore drilling sites in Texas and in Germany/Holland. The difference in environmental management and waste disposal between Europe and the USA is staggering. The Americans are dinosaurs when it comes to anything to do with health, safety and the environment in oil and gas drilling.

The red herrings are everybody is talking about problems that could happen deep in the Earth when as you will know if the wells are deep enough and properly built then minor earth tremors and risk to groundwater are minimal issues. The real risk is on the surface and poor controls there are more likely to result in groundwater problems.

I don't doubt your expertise for one minute and you clearly acknowledge that done in the wrong way, without proper controls, there could be a problems. We have a government determined to cut as much red tape as possible and wanting to avoid EU regulations in many areas. It is also a government in the pocket of big business and incapable/unwilling to take on energy companies. I don't think fracking in the UK in densely populated areas is a good idea and if it goes ahead on any serious scale there will be big problems.

The problem in Australia was that the chemical pumped hundreds of meters down eventually found their way into the water table, this water eventually comes out of the ground somewhere, which could be miles away from where it landed and soaked into the rocks. They ended up with carcinogens contaminating their drinking water.

It's resulted in lower prices in the USA, so why wouldn't it here? Any particular reasons you'd like to share?

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/n3010us3m.htm

Government price intervention. Can you give one reason why the govt wont just increase tax on gas to sustain the prevailing price level that we are all bound to accept anyway? Perhaps by a new 'green tax' to cover the (real or imagined) environmental costs of fracking.

Gas bills will never fall substantially, if at all.

Government price intervention. Can you give one reason why the govt wont just increase tax...

They don't need to. You are the one claiming that governments will artificially keep the price high; you need to give reasons why they would do so, not insist on people providing reasons why not.

Government price intervention. Can you give one reason why the govt wont just increase tax on gas to sustain the prevailing price level that we are all bound to accept anyway? Perhaps by a new 'green tax' to cover the (real or imagined) environmental costs of fracking.

Gas bills will never fall substantially, if at all.

The great benefit is self sufficiency and a positive boost to the balance of payments. We import far more than we export and having a fuel source that we don't need to mport is fantastic news.

It provides employment and tax revenue at the extraction stage.

It provides employment and tax revenue at the refining stage

It provides employment and tax revenue at the distribution stage.

Any tax collected means there in another tax that doesn't have to be.

Archived