Fracking gets green light

But most of the licences granted aren't. Don't confuse a drilling operation that starts onshore with a UCG fracking operation that is miles offshore under the sea.

Do you want to explain more? So far as I know all the proposed fracking areas are onshore and don't involve drilling out under the sea.

Here's a map - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmenergy/795/795we02.gif

Of course there has always been fracking of conventional reservoirs on offshore wells, but we're talking about the new shale gas technology here.

They don't need to. You are the one claiming that governments will artificially keep the price high; you need to give reasons why they would do so, not insist on people providing reasons why not.

Eh? I was giving a reason in response to a request for a reason! I reasoned that my reason was a reasonable reason.

Why would a government put up tax? Are you serious? :)

Personally Im not too concerned whether fracking goes ahead or not. What I am annoyed about is being told that I'll directly benefit from the cheap gas it produces. I dont like being lied to or taken for a fool!

• 7 months later...

The government just announced that they will allow exploitation of shale gas and petroleum by the process commonly known as fracking.

That's great news for our balance of payments, jobs, gas and oil prices, and last but not least, means lots of work for me. Thought I'd better declare my interest, but all the other positives still apply.

This could be another North Sea to allow us to be able to spend our way to prosperity again.

The government just announced that they will allow exploitation of shale gas and petroleum by the process commonly known as fracking.

That's great news for our balance of payments, jobs, gas and oil prices, and last but not least, means lots of work for me. Thought I'd better declare my interest, but all the other positives still apply.

This could be another North Sea to allow us to be able to spend our way to prosperity again.

I, just like anyone else with Google, understand what fracking is. I think it's a great idea!

Instead of injecting ceramic beads into the fissures though, would it be possible to inject rubbish (the sort of stuff the binmen collect every Wednesday), into the stratas? That way, it'll turn back into oil again (pressurised) and stop things from accidentally collapsing (like New York)

Any idea how much shale gas is down there at all? I know there were some estimates from the BCS but wondered if there were any more recent figures?

Nobody knows yet, but a lot. There should be plenty around and under Sheffield too. That black shale that you see in river beds around here is the stuff that holds all the gas.

Any idea how much shale gas is down there at all? I know there were some estimates from the BCS but wondered if there were any more recent figures?

Approx 20% of the amount that were in the North Sea.

Edit - according to radio 4 this morning.

Cuadrilla reckon they could extract maybe 40 billion cubic metres a year for about 40 years..

http://www.nohotair.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2432:how-much-shale-gas-in-the-uk-more-than-some-would-have-us-think&catid=166&Itemid=170

I, just like anyone else with Google, understand what fracking is. I think it's a great idea!

Instead of injecting ceramic beads into the fissures though, would it be possible to inject rubbish (the sort of stuff the binmen collect every Wednesday), into the stratas? That way, it'll turn back into oil again (pressurised) and stop things from accidentally collapsing (like New York)

Actually, they already do that on offshore drilling rigs. You can't inject rubbish into fractures that you want to produce from, for that you want those ceramic beads, known as 'sand' because they're so small (less than a mm diameter).

However, the drilling process creates a lot of waste cuttings, the small chips of rock produced by drilling a hole, often slightly toxic depending on the drilling fluid used. There's a lot of it when you consider the volume of a well several miles long. It used to be dumped overboard in the bad old days. Then it was put in skips and shipped onshore for disposal in landfill.

Then someone realised it could be re-injected into old wells in a similar process to fracking and that's what's done with it now.

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 12:54 ----------

It's a pity you can't buy Cuadrilla shares.

Archived