Fracking gets green light

Natural gas production was nearly 280×109 m³ (10 trillion cubic feet) in 2001 and continues to increase, although British gas production is in sharp decline.

Compared to the North Sea fields which produce 250 times as much a year (at their peak output)... It's not going to set the world on fire is it, even if it sounds like a large number.

Compared to the North Sea fields which produce 250 times as much a year (at their peak output)... It's not going to set the world on fire is it, even if it sounds like a large number.

The UK uses about 100 BCM a year so it's 40% of our use a year for 40 years...not to be sniffed at..

Nobody has accurate figures, but if Cuadrilla are exagerrating it's still a lot!

Estimates of how much shale gas there might be in the UK vary widely. Cuadrilla – the only company yet to have drilled exploratory wells – believes there could be 200tr cubic feet beneath the surface. That would be about 70 times the UK's annual gas demand, but the estimate is regarded as much too high by some geologists.

The UK uses about 100 BCM a year so it's 40% of our use a year for 40 years...not to be sniffed at..

Yeah, that would be significant, lets hope that Cuadrilla aren't exaggerating too much. If they've bigged it up by a factor of 10 then 4% of the UK annual use sounds much less impressive...

The government just announced that they will allow exploitation of shale gas and petroleum by the process commonly known as fracking.

That's great news for our balance of payments, jobs, gas and oil prices, and last but not least, means lots of work for me. Thought I'd better declare my interest, but all the other positives still apply.

This could be another North Sea to allow us to be able to spend our way to prosperity again.

It's good news if we have the means to turn it into clean electricity, and capture and store the carbon.

Yeah, that would be significant, lets hope that Cuadrilla aren't exaggerating too much. If they've bigged it up by a factor of 10 then 4% of the UK annual use sounds much less impressive...

If they bigged it up by a factor of 10 surely that would be 7 times the UK annual gas demand, so 7 years supply rather than 70 years. Still worth having.

I don't understand your 4% figure, but maybe that my maths.

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 14:18 ----------

It's good news if we have the means to turn it into clean electricity, and capture and store the carbon.

And where better to store carbon than by pumping it down a depleted well.

Archived