Looking for a nice place for coffee and cake.

babyboom

It's ages since I visited the city centre and I want to take my daughter out for a treat. I'm looking for somewhere nice where we can have a coffee and nice pastry or cake. I have searched online and seen Patisserie Valerie and that looks nice but the reviews on here seem mixed, is there anywhere else similar that you would recommend?

There is a nice place on Norfolk Row called 22a - think the cakes there are all homemade (they look it anyway!). They also do light bites and meals too as well as hot/cold drinks.

Been a couple of times and its always been nice.

Would recommend Patisserie Valerie too though - and the cake portions are huge!!

Andrews Cafe is lovely its by the back door of M&S on Chapel Walk good quality coffee and delightful cakes and pastries. The staff have always been very friendly and the prices reasonable.

I too love Valeries but the cake portions are enormous, but its lovely for a treat.

I know the surroundings are not very salubrious but there is a lovely patisserie on The Wicker, I can't remember it's name it is on the left hand side leaving the city centre not far from the Wicker Pharmacy.

The cakes are all home made and the coffee is very good too. They also do light lunches which are nice.

can recommend cafe galeria at snig hill gallery on snig hill!! all cakes home made all sandwiches and daily specials home made by friendly owner,dont think you will be disappointed.

You mean this place - http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/food_review_la_perle_39_41_the_wicker_sheffield_s3_8hs_1_295252 - and yes it is very good.

Gusto on Norfolk Row, Tamper on Westfield Terrace and Fusion Organic on Arundel Street are also very good.

If you're up for cake on 5th May then you really should make your way to Tamper as Appetite (a venture set up by another food blogger and myself) is holding a cake event with all proceeds going to the MS Society. There will be cake from the likes of #brownies, Heavenlies, Komal of Fusion Organic, Honeypie tea room, Thelma's cafe etc etc.

More info is here - http://www.appetite-sheffield.co.uk/small-appetite-event-cake-break-5th-may

Spread the word cake lovers!!

There is a nice place on Norfolk Row called 22a - think the cakes there are all homemade (they look it anyway!). They also do light bites and meals too as well as hot/cold drinks.

Been a couple of times and its always been nice.

Would recommend Patisserie Valerie too though - and the cake portions are huge!!

Gusto (also now on Norfolk row) does way better coffee than 22a and has all the cakes in a cabinet near the entrance.

It is a bit more luxurious inside (you end up smelling of fried breakfasts after being in 22a I find).

And it is a local business run by family rather than a big chain like Patisserie Valerie.

I do not like Patisserie Valerie , the cakes are mass made somewhere and not really very nice and the portions are frankly too big.

Plus it has a strange "cold" atmospehere inside. And it is very expensive. And the coffee is not great. Plus the staff are not very good as they are minimum wage slaves rather than having a vested interest in the business ...

Did I say I didnt like it?

Some good places to choose from, thanks for all the help everyone. I think we may give Gusto a go first seeing as it is a family business and Claret, we may see you on May 5th too, sounds like a good excuse for cake!

Archived