Anders Breivik sentenced

Whoops, he's opened up:

The gunman behind the Norway massacres has lifted the veil slightly in court on what he says is the Knights Templar network of far-right militants he claims to be part of.

Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people, first refused to answer prosecutors' questions but then claimed he was at a founding meeting of the so-called KT in London in 2002 with three other "militant nationalists."

"The essence of the entire KT network is to tie a heroic act to (a militant nationalist) identity," the 33-year-old told the court on Wednesday.

Advertisement: Story continues below

"That is what creates a foundation for continued resistance" against the multicultural society, he said, before appearing to hint at his own deadly attacks: "That is what happened."

The meeting in London, he said, was a bid to bring together all militant nationalists in Europe and to create a new tradition of "martyrdom."

Breivik had during the first two days of his trial appeared calm and collected, answering questions and asking the court to acquit him while also saying he would "have done it again".

But on Wednesday, he grew frustrated with prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh's questions over his claims that he had contact in Liberia with a nationalist Serb wanted for war crimes, and with three militant nationalists in London.

"I do not want to provide information that could lead to the arrest of others," he said.

Breivik also told her: "You are trying to sow doubt about whether the network exists ... that is your purpose. I hope you will put less weight on ridiculing me and focus more on the issue."

When she persisted, he exploded at one point: "Yes, there was a meeting in London ... I haven't made up anything!

"I don't want to say anything about that ... I don't want to say more about Liberia ... I don't want to say more about it," Breivik repeated, forcing Engh to finally read from his police interrogation transcript.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/18/anders-breivik-trial-manifesto-richard-the-lionheart-london-visit-2002_n_1433670.html#s880676&title=Jonah_Hull

A "secret anti-muslim sect in London".

Mmmmmm, who would that be I wonder?

Its a pity we can't see his evidence first hand.

I can't decide what would be better, to be honest. If he's allowed a platform, idiots will flock to his banner; if he's denied a platform, idiots will claim it's all a big conspiracy and still flock to his banner...

What's the best way to deal with this sort of poison? Let everyone see it for the poison that it really is, or try to hide it from them so they don't get infected?

I can't decide what would be better, to be honest. If he's allowed a platform, idiots will flock to his banner; if he's denied a platform, idiots will claim it's all a big conspiracy and still flock to his banner...

[B]What's the best way to deal with this sort of poison? Let everyone see it for the poison that it really is, or try to hide it from them so they don't get infected?[/QUOTE][/b

]A frank and open discussion about the issues?

Its a pity we can't see his evidence first hand. I can't understand why not, if its going to be reported any way. Its like the old IRA ban when we had to hear someone else's voice when listening to Gerry Adams etc...

You can, in exactly the same way as if the trial was being held in this country - go to the courtroom yourself. If it was a UK based trial, we wouldn't be able to see any of the proceedings. Giving him open access to the airwaves to say what he likes is probably a bad idea, he's already been told off for talking about irrelevancies to the trial. A live feed to the world would just cause more of the same.

the question of his sanity is a bit of a non-issue really, because even if he is NOT declared insane, he's still going inside for a long time and he'll be segregated from the other prisoners for his own safety.

doctors can declare him insane anytime, because a prisoner's health is not constant. Somebody who is not insane at the time he committed the offences might be insane 10 years later, in jail. This guy is never getting out of prison.

Giving him open access to the airwaves to say what he likes is probably a bad idea.

the Norwegians realised that, which is why they are not releasing any audio of the man talking, but only visual pictures of him. Everything you think he has said, you have read, not heard. You haven't actually heard him saying it and you don't know what his voice sounds like.

Claimed he acted in self defence. Self defence against what? It's plain that the defence might be angling towards the insanity bit. Hallucinations, persecution complex, imaginary enemies etc

etc

There are others like him who believe the exact same thing.

there are millions of immigrants in the uk thousands flood in everyday at a alarming rate who do you think they will vote for? obviously the party that give them money and a free home UKIP dont stand a chance

• 4 months later...

Archived