Anders Breivik sentenced

None of us know if he is sane or not. Different psychiatric reports have come to different conclusions.
And who cares really? The important thing is that he's no longer at liberty, and so long as he stays that way, we'll all feel much happier about it. :)

I also understood it that way. I can't see any parole board ever letting him out, given his defence in court is that it was necessary for him to commit the murders.
I can see it. All he has to do is be a good boy and admit that he was wrong - that's all, and he'll be out in 10 years. He'll only stay in if he wants to.

He is, in fact, very similar to the Islamist terrorists you so quickly rush to defend.

His ideology prompted him do it? Are you sure? I think it was something else.

What drives people to commit atrocities?

The belief that their actions are right and just.

How can they believe their actions are right and just?

Because they have had those beliefs externally validated by others, directly or indirectly.

Why do people validate these beliefs in the public sphere?

Because they like talking smack with no thought to the consequences.

.....rushes to search for posts from Melthebel defending Islamist terrorists.

Bet I can't find any!

An Islamic terrorist is any Muslim (or sympathiser/apologist) who is involved in planning for, or committing, an act of terrorism, and any other Muslim (or sympathiser/apologist) who collaborates in any other way, including those who withhold information from the Police, and those who give other tacit support. Does that widen your search?

What drives people to commit atrocities?

The belief that their actions are right and just.

How can they believe their actions are right and just?

Because they have had those beliefs externally validated by others, directly or indirectly.

Why do people validate these beliefs in the public sphere?

Because they like talking smack with no thought to the consequences.

Very true, but some people really don't need the validation of others. Also, not everyone needs to believe that their actions are right and just; some really don't care, and others know absolutely that they are wrong.

Archived