Would the world be happier without a God?

That's just not true at all, religion is all pervasive, you have people blowing themselves up in the name of religion, people bullying others because of religion, people attacking others because of religion, people hounding others out of town because of religion, people trying to get laws passed because of religion, discrimination in the workplace, and the voting booth because of religion, the list goes on and on.

I wish we lived in a world where religion was just a personal thing, unfortunately in this one it is not.[/quote]

Well we're definately singing from the same hymn sheet here (unfortunate pun.).. I think one's relationship with God is a very personal and private thing which does not necessitate the intermediary of a 'religion.' .
No, we are not in agreement at all, you must have completely misunderstood me. If you think that you have a 'relationship with God' then that is religion.

God is within us all. It's only when organised religion gets involved that the trouble starts.
No that's not true at all. God is certainly not within us all, and the trouble starts when people start to believe that they have a personal relationship with god, organised religion just increases the scale of the problem.

That's just not true at all, religion is all pervasive, you have people blowing themselves up in the name of religion, people bullying others because of religion, people attacking others because of religion, people hounding others out of town because of religion, people trying to get laws passed because of religion, discrimination in the workplace, and the voting booth because of religion, the list goes on and on.

I wish we lived in a world where religion was just a personal thing, unfortunately in this one it is not.[/quote]

No, we are not in agreement at all, you must have completely misunderstood me. If you think that you have a 'relationship with God' then that is religion.

No that's not true at all. God is certainly not within us all, and the trouble starts when people start to believe that they have a personal relationship with god, organised religion just increases the scale of the problem.

My view is that 'religion' is a man made entity and therefore flawed, whereas God is divine.

Why can't people have a personal relationship with God and what trouble can it cause? What is the alternative?

Why can't people have a personal relationship with God and what trouble can it cause? What is the alternative?

It causes problems because, if people think that a higher power is giving them justification for their innate feelings then it leads to a mindset of them being able to dissolve themselves of responsibilty for their actions.

Ahhh, I think I see where you're coming from. If you talk to God you're a nutter like Peter Sutcliffe, or some extremist bomber.

Sorry but I don't agree. Lots of people 'talk to God' (prayer) but by no means think he is giving them permission to do unspeakable things. People who do are ill and a tiny minority.

Surely prayer doesn't have to be channelled through a priest or church.

Ahhh, I think I see where you're coming from. If you talk to God you're a nutter like Peter Sutcliffe, or some extremist bomber.

Sorry but I don't agree. Lots of people 'talk to God' (prayer) but by no means think he is giving them permission to do unspeakable things. People who do are ill and a tiny minority.

God is divine. Where there's a God there's a devil..right? How do we not know if God gave instruction to the likes of Sutcliffe to snuff out the evil of his victims?

What if your God told you to kill or do unspeakable things? would you question him?

If you believe in God and can talk to God why is it so difficult to comprehend that other people can talk to God and that God tells them to kill? We already know from the bible that God doesn't have aproblem with to killing people, so when God tells someone to kill someone else why are they ill and you are not.

If you believe in God and can talk to God why is it so difficult to comprehend that other people can talk to God and that God tells them to kill? We already know from the bible that God doesn't have aproblem with to killing people, so when God tells someone to kill someone else why are they ill and you are not.

You must have heard the joke:

If you talk to God you're normal,

but if God talks to you you're nuts.

(And by the way, the Bible is the word of man, not God.)

More like, if you're a nutter like them, you then use 'talking to god' to justify your actions to yourself.

Just different levels of insanity.

You must have heard the joke:

If you talk to God you're normal,

but if God talks to you you're nuts.

(And by the way, the Bible is the word of man, not God.)

Do you know for definite that God didn't tell the writers what to write?

Archived