Police contact facebook for info

friend mines on bail for pervert course justice and after answering bail they rebail him. the police say they have wrote to facebook for info... can anyone shed any light on the matter to how facebook or the police do this? do they use the ip address to see what profiles are used or do they just get facebook to look up the user name? what info would be stored surely they wouldnt print out every status n activity from when the profile was set up or would they have just given dates and got them from then? apparnatley they wrote to america and the police say they'll have to go over in person to collect the info is this the polic eon a wind u[ or is it genuine... basically my mate sed sum1 was driving his motor and the police believe he bragged on facebook bout having someone take the points... would they go to this length for info as it seems to be very expensive way... any info be good....

friend mines on bail for pervert course justice and after answering bail they rebail him. the police say they have wrote to facebook for info... can anyone shed any light on the matter to how facebook or the police do this? do they use the ip address to see what profiles are used or do they just get facebook to look up the user name? what info would be stored surely they wouldnt print out every status n activity from when the profile was set up or would they have just given dates and got them from then? apparnatley they wrote to america and the police say they'll have to go over in person to collect the info is this the polic eon a wind u[ or is it genuine... basically my mate sed sum1 was driving his motor and the police believe he bragged on facebook bout having someone take the points... would they go to this length for info as it seems to be very expensive way... any info be good....

The police check this forum as well, do you want to be caught assisting an offender

how am i assisting? i merely asking for info relating to how the evidence if any might be gathered.... just like if i ask for the outcome etc.... i not asisting as i not trying to cover anything up etc merely asking how police do their policing

It is likely that the police will have searched Facebook for his name, used outside evidence (photo, educational details, email address, IP etc) to verify that this is actually his Facebook account, then contacted Facebook themselves with a warrant to gain access to the information stored on him, all of his old and deleted comments and the like.

Most people provide plenty of information which can be used to identify whether a Facebook account is theirs and it's almost impossible to truly delete information that is posted online, so if he has posted something which was inadvisable then I would imagine that they will gain access to it, whether he deleted it or not.

thanks medusa just seems lot hassle for a simple charge n lot monies being spent on it.... oh well spose he'll have to sit tight n wait to see whats what.... it could take ages for america to return the info thats of they return it at all

Threads like this always makes me think he/she did it.

I am one for believing if he hasnt done it then he shouldnt worry the police obviously believe there is sufficient evidence to prove he did it.

And so........I hope he is convicted for the crime he has obviously commited.

Its such a shame when a criminal gets off a charge due to technalities in laws.

thanks medusa just seems lot hassle for a simple charge n lot monies being spent on it.... oh well spose he'll have to sit tight n wait to see whats what.... it could take ages for america to return the info thats of they return it at all

Threads like this always makes me think he/she did it.

I am one for believing if he hasnt done it then he shouldnt worry the police obviously believe there is sufficient evidence to prove he did it.

And so........I hope he is convicted for the crime he has obviously commited.

Its such a shame when a criminal gets off a charge due to technalities in laws.

I hope you never get to do jury duty with opinions like that.

Archived