Police contact facebook for info

Perversion of the course of justice is considered to be just about the most serious charge on the books.

What counts as perverting the course of justice though?

Would an officer of the law who had added things to a witness statement be guilty of this charge. Its not related to the origional post its just a quick question i have.

Would an officer of the law who had added things to a witness statement be guilty of this charge. Its not related to the origional post its just a quick question i have.

If the falsehood is uttered/read out in court, it is perjury; outside of court, it's perverting the course of justice. In practice they're the same thing, it just depends on whether you're lying to the police or the jury.

Falsely adding to a witness statement must count as one or the other, if it can be proved.

I was allways under the impression that when a statement had been written out, it was re-read by the witness to check its fact. Then the person giving that statement put their signature right after the very last word written so that nothing else could be added to the statement.

I was allways under the impression that when a statement had been written out, it was re-read by the witness to check its fact. Then the person giving that statement put their signature right after the very last word written so that nothing else could be added to the statement.

I always thought that as well but i expect there are lots of reasons you dont or cant read it back properly.

If the falsehood is uttered/read out in court, it is perjury; outside of court, it's perverting the course of justice. In practice they're the same thing, it just depends on whether you're lying to the police or the jury.

Falsely adding to a witness statement must count as one or the other, if it can be proved.

Thank you :)

yea thats what the birminhgham 6 and guildford 4 thought too look where that got them.

I would be fine with jury service.

If there wasn't enough proof to make me think he/she did it i would not suggest a guilty verdict.

Its just it really gets to me that people know criminals are guilty but yet are unable to sentence them due to technacalities i mean what a shame!

I hope you never get to do jury duty with opinions like that.

Archived