Car brakes advice

Hi all

Quick question, what's the best way to find out whether your car brakes have air in them?

Took my car for a service the other week and was advised that I needed the rear cylinders replacing. Took the car back to get this done.

Ever since, the brakes haven't been quite as 'sharp' as previously. Before the cylinders were replaced, you'd just have to touch the brakes to lightly apply them - now there seems a lot more 'play' before the pedal does anything.

If I turn the engine off and pump the brakes to empty the servo - pressing the brakes then will give a small amount of movement before there's a little resistance - then a bit more movement before it encounters proper resistance. It's as though they weren't bled correctly but they don't feel spongy in the way that brakes and the clutch used to when I used to mess around with cars in my youth.

The car's a Picasso with front discs, rear shoes and ABS. The brakes still work - they just don't seem to be as eager as they were before the parts were replaced on the hydraulics.

Any advice welcome

G

Agreed, from what you are saying, it does sound like they haven't been bled properly and contain some air. Was it a proper garage or some fast-fit centre?

EDIT: If the system has been run with air in it for some time, it may not be as simple for them to bleed the air out now. If it has worked its way into the ABS unit, it may need computer-assisted bleeding, this is unlikely though and should probably just need manual bleeding.

Guest sibon

I once ended up with a car that had only air in the brake pipes. I found out when I was half way down Long Lane. My advice is to get them checked urgently.

Actually, having read this bit again...

Ever since, the brakes haven't been quite as 'sharp' as previously. Before the cylinders were replaced, you'd just have to touch the brakes to lightly apply them - now there seems a lot more 'play' before the pedal does anything.

If I turn the engine off and pump the brakes to empty the servo - pressing the brakes then will give a small amount of movement before there's a little resistance - then a bit more movement before it encounters proper resistance. It's as though they weren't bled correctly but they don't feel spongy in the way that brakes and the clutch used to when I used to mess around with cars in my youth.

... it may be that they just haven't adjusted the shoes back up after having the drums off. What does the handbrake feel like?

Thanks for the answers and advice.

I'll get onto them tomorrow so they can give them a once over again.

Regarding adjusting - I thought that virtually every car now had self adjusting brakes. Handbrake's the same as it was before the brakes were done - will hold the car on one click on a slight slope and will not go further than two clicks.

Cheers

G

Thanks for the answers and advice.

I'll get onto them tomorrow so they can give them a once over again.

Regarding adjusting - I thought that virtually every car now had self adjusting brakes. Handbrake's the same as it was before the brakes were done - will hold the car on one click on a slight slope and will not go further than two clicks.

Cheers

G

If the handbrake holds on just one click then it's not adjustment that's the problem. And no, Picasso's don't have self adjusters, they have a very fine tooth adjustment wheel which can be easily damaged!

DO take it right back, If they fob you off or don't sort it, speak to another garage and see if they wouldn't mind giving you a second opinion.

Archived