Strange sports - how do people get started?

There are some sports which require quite a high level of commitment, either financial, or physical in order to take part, so how on earth do people ever start them?

Two examples are rallying and pole vaulting.

With rallying, how do people get into it? There must be huge financial cost to start with. It's not the kind of thing you can do as a casual hobby is it? So how do people start?

With pole vaulting, what I don't understand is how someone makes the transition from beginner to someone vaulting upside down 8 foot in the air.

Any thoughts? Just curious (and I wouldn't mind trying rallying).

For rallying, look up local clubs, give them a ring there allways looking for new blood. Attend as a spectator, and then talk to people, usually more than happy to show off motors, and give tips at local rallys. Best idea is to get started as a marshall, then see how you go. If your not travel sick try navigating. I rallied inthe 70s/80s with a little limited sucsess. Then it was cheaper, more hi-tech now...I think

I did some rallying in NZ with the Triumph Car Club. I had a TR3A which I used for rallying, nothing hairy just club rallys with occasional ones against other clubs.

I've also seen rallys in this ocuntry such as those run by the MG Club, the Citroen CV2 club and even a rally for Reliant Robins.

To get into rallying I suggest you join a car club for whichever marque car you have and go from there.

If you want info on fencing, another minority sport, drop me a pm and I'll sort you out. :thumbsup:

Archived