What if science is wrong?

If a scientist theory is proven wrong it can prove a big discovery in itself which pushes forwards our knowledge.

I have always believed sciences greatest gift that it appears willing to accept when wrong. I agree, accepting one is wrong can lead to great things in many aspects of life.

Do you have any examples?

I'm interested in what caused these things being stifled. What happened to the people that thought the theory or work was right?

They either went onto greater things or died a death.

Darwin?

Einstein?

Both ridiculed and attacked by the scientific establishment.

Global warming?

But surely that's one big one where science has admitted it doesn't know or understand what is truly going on. The data shows the planet has warmed. The interpretation was first global warming but as they realised it doesn't necessarily mean everywhere will get warmer the term climate change was coined.

As you said, check the methods and evidence. The evidence does suggest the planet is getting warmer. It's the cause that's the one people argue about. Surely.

I have always believed sciences greatest gift that it appears willing to accept when wrong. I agree, accepting one is wrong can lead to great things in many aspects of life.

A good scientist wont mind having a hypothesis proven wrong.

It's also worth remembering that a lot of the scientific theories work with what we currently know and understand. As our knowledge grows, these scientific theories will become superseded by new ones.

A good scientist wont mind having a hypothesis proven wrong.

It's also worth remembering that a lot of the scientific theories work with what we currently know and understand. As our knowledge grows, these scientific theories will become superseded by new ones.

So science is right if it fits, until proved wrong?

Darwin was, but mainly because of the religious aspect, which is kind of different to the point in the OP i reckon.

Not really as many scientists are religious..as was Darwin I believe. At one time.

Archived