What if science is wrong?

I didn't say that and I believe you are correct. That's the beauty of science.

Science is either correct or incorrect (no sentiment). I think right and wrong are more applicable to religious teachings and is probably dangerous from a scientific perspective.

Wow. I didn't say science had anything to do with god. I merely said what if god believers are right when they say it's because god only reveals what he wants us to see. That doesn't imply I think science is trying to disprove god nor am I saying I believe in god.

Sorry, I must have worded my response badly, I know you are not saying that and I had gathered that you are a non believer. :)

What if mathematics is wrong?

It can't be. Maths is just a set of rules which can be applied to numbers.

However, there's lots of options for the numbers to be wrong, and as the saying goes - garbage in, garbage out. There's even more options for the person doing the maths to misinterpret (or misunderstand) the rules, and get nonsense answers.

Either way, it doesn't make the rule book wrong.

Science is either correct or incorrect (no sentiment).

Strictly speaking, no, it is neither. Science is a process, not a result; the process is effective or ineffective, but the question of right and wrong can't sensibly be applied to it.

For four hundred years, the process has been incredibly effective, not least because it provides for self-correction of the results that come out of it.

Last night I was watching something scientific. It got me thinking, what if the evidence we believe we have for scientific theories has been interpreted in a way to suit the scientists agenda or simply misinterpreted? Did we interpret things a particular way because it fit what we were looking for?

It's all open to question and revision, there is nothing that you must accept on faith. If you want to question something, go ahead and make the measurements and check it for yourself, if you can come up with a theory that explains the observations better then do it.

Now I'm pretty sure that the fact that I'm typing this on a computer is reason enough to believe scientists could be right about the majority of their work but, should I trust science just because things work?

This is engineering, not science.

Maybe believers in god are right. Perhaps we only discover how things work because god reveals the information to us in a way we understand. Hence why we will never truly understand some things.

That just sounds like a cop out to use when you can't figure something out.

But what if the scientific establishment are so comfortable in their positions that they would encourage other theories to be instantly ridiculed? Could this happen?

It wouldn't be science at that point, it would be dogma. The scientific method by nature is to question and to measure and to formulate (a hypothesis) and to try to make predictions which you then measure to see if they were accurate.

Archived