TV Appeareance - Excel Parking

I don't see what the problem is. Like Tony says, it is private land that you are allowed to park on for a set amount of time. If you are going to spend three hours in Asda or Staples, go and thell them and I am sure you will not get a ticket.

If not, then why should a company subsidise your parking so you can spend money elsewhere?

I don't see what the problem is. Like Tony says, it is private land that you are allowed to park on for a set amount of time. If you are going to spend three hours in Asda or Staples, go and thell them and I am sure you will not get a ticket.

If not, then why should a company subsidise your parking so you can spend money elsewhere?

That is not what it is about!!!!! It is about Private Parking Companies pretending that they can issue fines when they can't. They are entitled to their losses - free parking = no loss. 0.50p parking = 0.50p loss.

And ASDA/Staples will tell you they don't control parking - appeal.

And the appeal will say - no. And it has just cost you £120.00 or whatever.

Simply ignore private parking companies and all their junk mail and junk threat-o-grams. Only thing not to ignore is stamped court papers.

It doesn't always work like that though. Take Berkley Precinct on Eccy road. Excel run the car park for Lambert Smith Hampton who lease the buildings to various companies but the largest by far being Tesco. Excel state a 2 hour maxiumum stay or you get fined which is fair enough, except they don't have an exit camera so enforcement of this is down to the little parking man whoi mostly isn't there. What is automatically enforced by the ANPR is the no return in 5 hours. I haven't fallen foul due to being alerted to it by a thread on here but could easilly have done if it wasn't for that thread as it's all written in tiny letters. How is it of benefit to tesco that if I nip in for a can of coke at 3pm I can't return to do a full shop until 8pm?

That is not what it is about!!!!! It is about Private Parking Companies pretending that they can issue fines when they can't. They are entitled to their losses - free parking = no loss. 0.50p parking = 0.50p loss.

And ASDA/Staples will tell you they don't control parking - appeal.

And the appeal will say - no. And it has just cost you £120.00 or whatever.

Simply ignore private parking companies and all their junk mail and junk threat-o-grams. Only thing not to ignore is stamped court papers.

I agree!!!!

It doesn't always work like that though. Take Berkley Precinct on Eccy road. Excel run the car park for Lambert Smith Hampton who lease the buildings to various companies but the largest by far being Tesco. Excel state a 2 hour maxiumum stay or you get fined which is fair enough, except they don't have an exit camera so enforcement of this is down to the little parking man whoi mostly isn't there. What is automatically enforced by the ANPR is the no return in 5 hours. I haven't fallen foul due to being alerted to it by a thread on here but could easilly have done if it wasn't for that thread as it's all written in tiny letters. How is it of benefit to tesco that if I nip in for a can of coke at 3pm I can't return to do a full shop until 8pm?

Please stop saying "fine". It is a speculative invoice only. Private companies cannot fine people.

When they take people to court if the case is defended they lose.

This is what happened when they took someone to court about Berkeley Precinct. They lost even though they were represented by a solicitor.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/community/your-letters/excel_let_the_courts_decide_1_3822738

They also lost in Stockport:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1458879_motorist-wins-18-month-ticket-battle-after-judge-agrees-stockport-parking-signs-were-too-small

The fact is they cannot enforce these speculative invoices.

And as I recommended at ASDA they would stop if a couple of hundred people a day loaded up their trollies with frozen food and then halfway through the transaction at the till said to the checkout staff. "I'll be back in a minute but I have to move my car".

The current most persuasive legal case which was held before a circuit judge was this one.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=59380&mode=threaded&pid=564302

And in Liverpool the NHS Trust took a gentleman to court for a lot of money with this result.

NHS Aintree Foundation Trust v Perera

Case no. 1UD12840

£1622.84 costs sought from 25 tickets.

Mostly double yellow line parking incidences.

• Judge agreed that each amount was a penalty not a pre-estimate of damages

• Agreed that the Circuit Judge's findings in Thurlow v OB were persuasive

• Nobody was obstructed, no spaces were taken and a permit was on display

• Dismissed the notion that parking management was the purpose of the private ticketing regime

So my case rests on my previous advice. Ignore all demands for money from private parking companies, their debt collectors and the one tame solicitor who usually signs their papers. Don't ignore signed and stamped court papers but they are exceedingly rare. When private parking companies go to court they LOSE!!

Result - defendant doesn't have to pay a penny.

Oh dear, Robinson's argument is weak:

"Do you have an elderly aunt. ANSWER ME"

and when he responds with common sense she cuts in and says:

"Sorry we'll have to leave it there".

I'm afraid Excel came off better in that one.

Except that it wasn't a rep from Excel being interviewed. It was a rep from the British Parking Association of which Excel are a member. In fact the Excel MD is an executive board member of the BPA - the ones that drew up the BPA code of practise for Private Parking Companies. I think she did an excellent job in exposing the fact that the BPA is only interested in looking after it's own members (surprise surprise). The sooner this whole industry is properly and independently regulated - the better.

Archived