Why do we have sidelights ?

Just wondered, we have dipped lights,main beam and fog lights so why do we need side lights ?

I know when I was a lad you needed them if you parked on the road overnight, and some use them in the day if it gets a bit dark, though others say they should really be using dipped light...

I use mine when it's dull / low light but doesn't really require dip-beam.

A few cars I've had (can't say it's all cars) have had "dim-dip" systems fitted which switches the dip-beam on at half-power when sidelights are on and engine is running.

Just wondered, we have dipped lights,main beam and fog lights so why do we need side lights ?

I know when I was a lad you needed them if you parked on the road overnight...

In law, you still do! Although, given the millions of cars parked on the road overnight and the number of fines being zero, I suspect it's a law that nobody cares about enforcing.

Indeed, they are properly called "parking lights" but sidelights is by far the most common term. That may be precisely because you (in practice) don't need to use them when parking, nowadays.

In law, you still do! Although, given the millions of cars parked on the road overnight and the number of fines being zero, I suspect it's a law that nobody cares about enforcing.

Indeed, they are properly called "parking lights" but sidelights is by far the most common term. That may be precisely because you (in practice) don't need to use them when parking, nowadays.

I parked at the head of my cul-de-sac, I was under a street light but facing the wrong way, I received a knock on my door at 11pm and a police man told me to turn the car round or put its lights on. I was gobsmacked, but complied.

I parked at the head of my cul-de-sac, I was under a street light but facing the wrong way, I received a knock on my door at 11pm and a police man told me to turn the car round or put its lights on. I was gobsmacked, but complied.

Well, the policeman doesn't know the law either; it's never legal to park facing the wrong way, whether you turn the lights on or not, and the lights are legally required if you are facing the right way.

That said, it's never a good idea to argue with a policeman either. Compliance was probably your best move.

Well, the policeman doesn't know the law either; it's never legal to park facing the wrong way, whether you turn the lights on or not, and the lights are legally required if you are facing the right way.

That said, it's never a good idea to argue with a policeman either. Compliance was probably your best move.

That rule just applies to roads with a speed limit greater than 30mph.

Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way.

Side lights are for parking on roads with a speed limit over 30 unless in a marked parking bay. They do not excuse parking facing the wrong way at night.

Parking lights are allso required to be shown on goods vehicles with an unladen weight over 1525 kgs. when parked on a 30 limit road at night (never enforced?)

Otherwise, in my view, sidelights are are a waste of space for driving on - if you want to be seen, use your dipped headlights!

You park the correct way so that your rear reflectors let vehicles see you at night.

Archived