Why do we have sidelights ?

From the HC

"248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h)."

Well, the policeman doesn't know the law either; it's never legal to park facing the wrong way, whether you turn the lights on or not, and the lights are legally required if you are facing the right way.

That said, it's never a good idea to argue with a policeman either. Compliance was probably your best move.

Ahhem, it's not illegal to park against the flow of traffic, it's a Do not in the HC, not a MUST NOT.

Update, but at night different rules apply

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

So you can face either way during the day, but must face the flow of traffic at night, and on faster roads must use parking lights.

Should you and I be involved in a collision in fog and should you be driving on parking lights only then I will have no hesitation in suing you for driving an improperly-lit vehicle which failed to display appropriate lights in accordance with the provision of the Road Traffic Act.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find I would win.

Who mentioned fog though?

When it isn't foggy, in a street lit area, side lights are sufficient to comply with the law.

So if you leave your side lights, parking lights, or whatever you want to call them on all night, are you going to come down to a flat battery in the morning?

Side lights are about 5w I think so that's 20w altogether ..

W=A x V

so 20w is about 1.6A at 12 V.. car battery about 70Ah so should run side lights for about 40 hrs...you battery should be fine ..unless someone can find a mistake (there's bound to be one)

I know, but not on the 30mph road that is a cul-de-sac, my car was at the end of the cul-de-sac under a street light, reflectors wouldn't have prevented my car be hit by a blind driver that could only hit my car if they wanted to park on the same spot.:)

Can you post where the law says that you are allowed to park facing the oncoming traffic at night in a cul-de-sac.

Not all cul-de-sacs are 25m.

Side lights are about 5w I think so that's 20w altogether ..

W=A x V

so 20w is about 1.6A at 12 V.. car battery about 70Ah so should run side lights for about 40 hrs...you battery should be fine ..unless someone can find a mistake (there's bound to be one)

I think you win my Forum award for the most detailed and scientific answer to one of my questions this year. :)

Hard to tell how strong a battery in a car is though, if it's on its last legs it may be shorter.

Archived