Why do we have sidelights ?

Can you post where the law says that you are allowed to park facing the oncoming traffic at night in a cul-de-sac.

Not all cul-de-sacs are 25m.

Sorry if my post gives the impression I meant it was a law. My point is that the only traffic that could approach my car was from the back, yes I was technically facing the wrong direction, but any car driving into the cul-de-sac would have seen their lights reflecting off my rear reflectors. Had I faced the correct way my reflectors wouldn't have been visible. My car was safer parked the wrong way, but the police officer was a jobs worth and wanted it turn round, making it less safe.

From the HC

"248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h)."

Dont the large modern reflective tail light covers do the same job? One would have to be blind not to see them in the light from a headlamp

Who mentioned fog though?

When it isn't foggy, in a street lit area, side lights are sufficient to comply with the law.

The only place I can see sidelights mentioned in the HC is in relation to fog. I never considered them to be different but seems odd that they use the phrase "or sidelights" only in this section.

Parking in fog. It is especially dangerous to park on the road in fog. If it is unavoidable, leave your parking lights or sidelights on.

Archived