A No-Claims Bonus question

The driver carries a no claims bonus, but in most cases it is only valid for 1 vehicle at a time. As a driver you could have no claims more than once if you have been insuring 2 cars, and they could in the future be used against two different cars.

But even if you have full NCB on two cars, that you have been insuring separately, if you have an accident in one of the cars then the NCB is likely to be removed from both as Bikertec's experience proves.

Also, my company has written numerous letters on behalf of employees ditching their company cars, guaranteeing that they have not had an accident in the last X years. This letter has been adequate proof for the employees to get NCB when insuring a car for the first time, or after a gap of many years.

Both these examples indicate it is the driver alone that carries the NCB.

It seems to me that the NCB is based on the driver when it suits, but the driver and/or vehicle when it suits. Jim Hardie is probably not far off the truth with his "cosy arrangement" claim.

:huh:

And another thing I've just remembered. NCB used to be universally based on 5 years clean driving history, it is now 9 it seems.

Having got over 25 years clean driving history I have no issues with that. However, about 10 years ago my wife got a £50 off Post Office insurance coupon. Since our insurance was only about £150 this made quite a big difference, so I got a quote which turned out to be £20 more than Churchill. Cool, we're £30 better off I thought.

Received the paperwork from the Post Office, returned the proof of NCB from Churchill, but then got hit with a bill for £50 because the Post Office's definition of NCB was 9 years, whilst Churchill's was 5 years. Managed to dig out some old paperwork to prove 7 years, but still ended up out of pocket. Very infuriating.

My advice, don't get rid of any paperwork that proves your NCB going back further than 9 years. You never know when an insurance company might change the definition of full NCB to 12 years or more.

The letters that they return these days state a number of years (even if it's above what they consider maximum) I think. So you should always have proof of the correct number.

I don't think mine does, but will check later.

Also I pay a bit extra for protected NCB, but I'm guessing that a con in reality.

I don't think mine does, but will check later.

Also I pay a bit extra for protected NCB, but I'm guessing that a con in reality.

I don't think it's a complete con, they will charge even more if you declare an accident and have lost several years NCB. Not loosing the NCB but declaring the claim will cost, but not quite as much.

It's not necessarily in your policy details, if you switch insurers though you normally have to request a proof of no claims (which you send to the new insurer) I'm pretty sure that all mine have listed x number of years, even when that was higher than mattered to the insurer issuing it.

Archived