As an invited customer, can I steal from a shop?

Monkey might not be a poet, but he comes pretty close to being a law student.:hihi::hihi:

It's a recipe:

a person is guilty of theft if:

He dishonestly, (One ingredient - you have to prove 'dishonesty')

Appropriates (Another ingredient [sometimes overlooked ... if he didn't actually take it, what now?)

property Big problem [particularly nowadays] - We can't do 'Ideas' under the theft act! ... 'IP' is a whole new area of Law:

Belonging to another - Somewhat important ... if the 'thief' can prove 'it was mine, anyway) not only will you look stupid, but when he sues you, you might end up poor.

With the intention Mens Rea - you (as the prosecutor) have to prove that.

of permanently(one word) depriving (Second word)

The the other of it.

'Permanently depriving' the owner ...

Which is why we have the offence of 'Twocking' (Taking without the owner's consent.)

The Law is not stupid - and nor are (most) of the practitioners. You are very fortunate on this forum in that you have a qualified Lawyer who is also a moderator and who has shown himself (in the past) to be more than ready to provide expert advice.

George Jeffreys (First Baron Jefferys) was the *'Hanging Judge'. I've no doubt that Jeffery (the moderator) will let you off with a small fine [if you are innocent ;)]

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of shoplifters in town are known to store detectives and CCTV operators. When they are spotted the call goes out via radio that most of the stores have, and all are made aware.

They are not your starving masses out to steal a loaf to survive, they are recidivists out to steal high cost items that are easily removed, secreted and sold on!

Its amazing who will buy a pack of bacon or a leg of lamb for a fraction of the true cost.

All they are thinking of is to raise enough cash for their next fix or bottle of White lightning.

Archived