Identify these old photos?

fourfive

Do we have a date for the photos, or just the approximate decade?

peterw, the town hall was built in the early/ mid 1890s, in time for the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria, in 1897. She came on a royal visit to Sheffield and officially "opened" the Town Hall then. So, unless the photo in question was pre-1890 or so, then the Town Hall would have existed. (and I think we've concluded that their dates are approx 1900 to 1910, havent we?)

I am wracking my brains, because I cannot match the rooflines up to anything I remember/know or have seen in other old photos.

Like a few others in this thread, I am not sure that the location is Sheffield.

PT

Plain Talker — Sorry about the town hall date, put it down to old age! I got it wrong! However, the old church would have obscured its view, and it did have a tower and a dome and there isn’t one. I’m not even sure about bottom of The Moor now that the best clue — Boots The Chemist — has been shot down, unless of course they opened a branch on The Moor? I agree the other two are not Sheffield, but if the first one is Sheffield, how about looking closer to home and try Rotherham? The question then is when did Sheffield Transport Department secure running rights into Rotherham?

I've just spent some time comparing the 'South St - Moor' photos and there are too many identical features for the questionable photo to be anything other than South St.

I have made up a comparitive image with key points labelled. I still feel that the tram ( no. 82) in the questionable one is a Sheffield tram which entered service in 1900, but had a roof fitted in 1904. This would mean the photo being taken during that period and would indicate that Boots the chemist was either installed or removed (or even re-signed) during this period.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/saxon51/Comparativephoto.jpg

And this image shows how far apart the two towers were for comparison................................http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/saxon51/s02149.jpg

Photo 1 the shop on the rounded corner should be Shepherd Sawer confectioner 21O THE MOOR and the shop with the hanging letters should be Boots cash Chemist 202 THE MOOR

Boots is not there in 1901 but is in 1905 directory.

Read back over the thread, and this quote from retep confirms the 1901 - 1904 time-span and concurs with the tram details which appear in my previous post. ;)

Enjoyed the paintings. Very nice, in fact excellent. They’re what I’d call a bit of pleasant relief from the trams. Do you think we’ll all ever agree?

By the way, if anyone wants to know how I know the sign on the left is Boots The Chemist, we are using custom-built software that allows us to see the buildings head on, so to speak.

From all the evidence so far, I think we can safely say that picture #1 IS Sheffield - South St_The Moor - taken between 1901 and 1904.

The building in Docmel's link looks as though it might be a replacement for a bomb damaged section of the old frontage. Architecture either side is as per early 1900's.

Archived