Identify these old photos?

fourfive

Originally posted by segasonic

To me, the first one looks like The Moor (or perhaps Fargate), the second the Town Hall and Yorkshire Penny Bank (as Cynthia said) and the third Campo Lane.

Could very well be wrong though, as I wasn't around in those days. :)

Don't know about the first one. but in the second one the building to the right appears to have a rounded corner with a door in it and not in keeping with the corner of the town hall.

In the background of the third one there appears to be very steep/high hills in the background and I can't think of any similar such scene in Sheffield.....not within the City Centre anyway.

Originally posted by retep

No 1 could be be South St -- picture sheffield s00160

look where the building lines are on the left hand buildings.

I think you are right retep, after looking at picture number s00160 on the picture sheffield site picture number 1 is South Street.

Originally posted by fourfive

Can you identify these three old photo's. They are all on glass plates and are from around the 1900's? They are supposed to have been taken in the sheffield area, but i dont recognise anything. In the centre of photo 3 the sign says "Symons hair cutting and shaving rooms".

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The first photo looks like The Moor (South st as was)

The second photo looks like the junction of West St/ Leopold St

The third Photo looks like a view up Angel St.

Originally posted by saxon51

Don't know about the first one. but in the second one the building to the right appears to have a rounded corner with a door in it and not in keeping with the corner of the town hall.

I think that the perspective is misleading, and the Town Hall is actually behind the rounded building, which if I'm right is now the building housing the GAP shop.

Archived