Identify these old photos?

fourfive

Originally posted by docmel

Oh I knew this would be fun!!

looking at Barnstaple (I've never been) on Google Earth it would appear that what could be the High Street - or whatever its called (if the pic is of the High Street) could look straight onto the side of a hill.

lovabulrogue - what software do you use to look at the pics - or is it just my ageing eyes letting me down?

Go back to fourfive's link it's a few threads up from ours, his pic is clear. I haven't the sophisticated software unfortunately. Just a wanabee detective me !

I concur that photo 1 is South Street - The Moor. The street furniture is identical to 'Picture Sheffield' photo already mentioned, as are the roof outlines, and the open-topped tram no.82 is identical to sister tram no. 87 which I have found in a book on Sheffield Transport.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/saxon51/Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

I will go so far as to say that the photo was taken sometime between 1900 - when the tram came into service, and 1904 - when the tram was fitted with a roof.

How's that for sad.:(

Originally posted by saxon51

I concur that photo 3 is South Street - The Moor. The street furniture is identical to 'Picture Sheffield' photo already mentioned, as are the roof outlines, and the open-topped tram no.82 is identical to sister tram no. 87 which I have found in a book on Sheffield Transport.

Are all talking about the same pic here?

I think you guys are talking about Pic No 1

Pic No 3 - several of us think is a town in Devon - probably Barnstable

Are all talking about the same pic here?

I think you guys are talking about Pic No 1

Pic No 3 - several of us think is a town in Devon - probably Barnstable

You are right, have edited my post accordingly. Thanks docmel.:thumbsup:

Having looked at pictures of Town Hall Square from other sources - Picture Sheffield no. s00198 - the Jubilee Monument which was there at the turn of the century is missing, the Albany Hotel roof line is different, and the Town Hall clock has a different face in photo 2.

The perspective is all wrong on Pic 1 one as well I think.

If this was taken at the bottom of South Street (The Moor) then we would be looking up a slight incline.

Even allowing for the elevated position of the camera - the road still runs 'downhill'

If it were the Moor we would be looking uphill would'nt we?

The perspective is all wrong on Pic 1 one as well I think.

If this was taken at the bottom of South Street (The Moor) then we would be looking up a slight incline.

Even allowing for the elevated position of the camera - the road still runs 'downhill'

If it were the Moor we would be looking uphill would'nt we?

The same perspective is apparent in the Picture Sheffield photo.

South Street ran almost to the bottom of London Road in those days, so there was a very slight incline prior to the climb up what is now The Moor.

That is if I'm not mistaken.

If you look at the tram tracks, there is an identical junction layout, the wire poles are identical tracework - we made our own in Sheffield - and the upper floors of the buildings are exactly the same architecture.

Must admit though, the road does seem to go downhill a bit steeply, but looking at a couple of the shop awnings - which aren't straight - this could be an optical illusion.

Archived