Identify these old photos?

fourfive

Originally posted by peterw

I doubt very much whether any of the three photos are of Sheffield. The one with the tram shows a Route H. Middlesbrough was one of the few towns to use route letters. Why not try there.

Sheffield used route letters aswell, as seen here at Tinsley tram sheds ('N' = Nether Edge route):

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/saxon51/s19347.jpg

It was assumed that the high rate of illiteracy at the turn of the century would make 'worded' destination boards a little too hard to grasp by most of the working population in Sheffield. The 'worded' destination boards only came in at about the time the photo would have been taken - 1901 to 1904. 'H' could possibly be the newly opened Heeley route.

The overhead wire poles are identical to the South Street ones aswell.

Boots is not there in 1901 but is in 1905 directory.

The above quote from retep would point to the photo being taken sometime after 1901 - Boots (which is clearly visible) wasn't there then, but before 1904 - when tram number 82 had a roof fitted.

Having collected old postcards, especially of Sheffield for more years than I care to remember I believe they are

1. Bottom of Ecclesall Road, where Waitrose is now, looking up Ecclesall Road.

2. Taken from High Street looking towards Coles Corner, Church Street on the right and Fargate on the left.

3. I think this is Glossop, the main road though, where the old market hall is.

You don't say what size they are, but they look like old magic lantern slides originally, if so, how interesting.

Originally posted by Mandem

Having collected old postcards, especially of Sheffield for more years than I care to remember I believe they are

1. Bottom of Ecclesall Road, where Waitrose is now, looking up Ecclesall Road.

2. Taken from High Street looking towards Coles Corner, Church Street on the right and Fargate on the left.

3. I think this is Glossop, the main road though, where the old market hall is.

You don't say what size they are, but they look like old magic lantern slides originally, if so, how interesting.

Thanks for your comments Mandem. The glass plates measure approx 80 cm2 and after looking around the net i would say that they are magic lantern slides. Now i would like to get good copys from them onto photo paper, any ideas anyone as to the best way?

After flicking between picture no 3 and the link to Barnstaple posted by luvabulrogue. The white buildings in the middle of both pictures (on the left) do look like the same buildings and the writing definitley says 'Manufacturers Depot ..... & ..... Barsnstaple Art Pottery.

Archived