Identify these old photos?

fourfive

Originally posted by Anj1364

After flicking between picture no 3 and the link to Barnstaple posted by luvabulrogue. The white buildings in the middle of both pictures (on the left) do look like the same buildings and the writing definitley says 'Manufacturers Depot ..... & ..... Barsnstaple Art Pottery.

Yes, I agree (still) it's definately Barnstaple, due to the sign and the fact he streets look the same, if now more modern.

I viewed it with an open mind, I didn't assume they were all Sheffield then tried to match the streets to the pictures.

I will pass pic 3 to the Barnstaple tourist board (if the authour doesn't mind) ? in order to get their view.

It would be weird if none were Sheffield, and they were all in Devon, Barnstaple, Exeter and Honiton !! for example.....

Originally posted by lovabulrogue

Yes, I agree (still) it's definately Barnstaple, due to the sign and the fact he streets look the same, if now more modern.

I viewed it with an open mind, I didn't assume they were all Sheffield then tried to match the streets to the pictures.

I will pass pic 3 to the Barnstaple tourist board (if the authour doesn't mind) ? in order to get their view.

It would be weird if none were Sheffield, and they were all in Devon, Barnstaple, Exeter and Honiton !! for example.....

Hi lovabulrogue, i have no objection to you contacting the Barnstaple tourist board.

Originally posted by lazarus

The second photo looks like the junction of West St/ Leopold St

Got to agree. The photographer is stood at the end of Tenter Street, the road that forks to the left is Church Street (if you look carefully you can just see the pillars outside what is now HSBC) and the right hand fork is Leopold Street (the building at the very end on the left is what is now Virgin Megastore). The building with the clock on it is NOT the Town Hall but what was the old Education buildings, which is now just a facade as they do some more building work.

Originally posted by Saxon

Got to agree. The photographer is stood at the end of Tenter Street, the road that forks to the left is Church Street (if you look carefully you can just see the pillars outside what is now HSBC) and the right hand fork is Leopold Street (the building at the very end on the left is what is now Virgin Megastore). The building with the clock on it is NOT the Town Hall but what was the old Education buildings, which is now just a facade as they do some more building work.

I showed these pics to my dad when I visite him in Sheffield yesterday - he is in his late eighties and went to school on Leopold Street before the building became education offices.

Before I read the comment above I had asked him if he thought the second pic was looking down Leopold Street from Tenter Street.

He is certain it is not - apart from anything alse the angle of the corber from 'Leopold Street' and 'Chuch Street' is too acute - the buildings there has a far gentler curve.

Given that he was growing up in the City Centre long before the lutwaffe and city planners got their hands on it he is convinced, as quite a few people here are now, that none of these pics were taken in Sheffield.

Originally posted by Saxon

Got to agree. The photographer is stood at the end of Tenter Street, .

Did you mean Tenter Street or the top of Townhead Street as Tenter Street is at the bottom of Townhead Street/Hawley Street and Leopold Street would not be visible?

Originally posted by alysonpeach

Can any of the tram enthusiasts (I know there must be some) confirm that they are Sheffield?

Not a tram 'enthusiast', but this photo of Sheffield tram no. 87 (from a book on Sheffield transport).................

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/saxon51/Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

.....................................would seem to indicate that tram no. 82 in photo 1 is one of its sister trams.

Study them side by side if you can.

And if you can do this, look at the window layouts, street furniture, shop fronts of photo 1, and the Picture Sheffield photo no. s00160 (South Street)

Archived