Identify these old photos?

fourfive

I have had a closer look at the wording on the building and its "Yates's Wine Lodge". So did sheffield have a Yates's at the turn of the century and if so where was it?

In that enhancement there is an 'arcade' running along what is alledged to be Leopold street, and the building behind the tram which would be the old education dept. clinic looks similar but not the same.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/fourfive/5.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s17618

No doubt in my mind that photo1 is South Street looking up to St Paul's.

fourfive and Saxon — It might or might not help but tram number 87 on enhancement is actually tram number 47 with a number 8 stuck over the 4! I’ll leave Saxon to sort that one out!

peterw

This photo of tram 87(?) which is scanned from a book of Sheffield transport is as it appears in the book. I can see the discrepancy around the number 8, but if it was originally 47 this fact isn't mentioned. In fact, according to the book, number 47 was a single decker and a photo of it bears no resemblance to this type of tram.

It says on the caption that this is how it was delivered, so I wonder whether it left the makers carrying 47, but was renumbered 87 (with a temporary stick-on) on entering the Sheffield fleet.

It is identical in all aspects to the number 82 in the original post, but nothing like the 47 - and sister models - as shown in the book.

Saxon — Manchester’s changed a lot over the years. Yates Brewery was bombed during the war but parts of it were standing when I arrived in the city. It stood at the junction of Ashton Old Road and Pin Fold Lane and it WAS tram route. It could well be seen as Manchester except for the fact that (a) Pinfold Lane was a short hill — still is — rising to its junction with Ashton Old Road, and Manchester’s trams (although possibly not the earlier ones) had two, four-wheeled bogies. It may take me time because I’m disabled, but I will check for you. Both Ashton New Road and Pin Fold Lane were tram routes but your photo does not have a corresponding crossover.

Saxon — found a picture we enhanced of a tram in Piccadilly, Manchester, at the turn of the century (circa 1901). It has just the four wheels but No alphabetical route letter. We can actually see its destination board — which was ‘a board’! Don’t think your picture is Manchester, but it was worth a try!

Fourfive — Hope you don’t mind, say if you do. I’ve taken off copies of your three pictures to give one of my employees lessons on enhancement via Photoshop CS2. If we come up with anything positive I’ll let you know and send you copies of the enhancements.

peterw — Peter Wright Graphics. Tel: 0161-798 4100 noon to 4pm.

Hi peterw, You are welcome to do what you want with the pictures. You can have use of the originals if you think you can do anything with them.

Archived