People not wanting to work?

'Tonight' programme... (my goodness the host annoys me:gag:)

The programme highlighted that rather than people not being able to find work, that people don't want to work.

Celebrity culture was blamed.

Too high benefits blamed.

Young people leaving school with no people skills was blamed.

Benefit claimers feeling more stable with regular weekly payments.

Link to programme

I agreed with some of it, innit.

A couple of years ago I went on a CBT course. It was mostly full of benefit claimants. Towards the end an advisor from the job centre came in to talk to each individually. The lady asked all leading questions, one being, "I know you won't want to work because it's not worth it money wise, you're better off on the dole", "No love I work hard running my own little business", but she was telling them how to play the system, no wonder they didn't think work was a good idea!

What's the best fix ... reducing the amount of jobseekers' allowance, or increasing the minimum wage?

If people can live comfortably on benefits, they may well decide not to bother working even for extra money - but if the benefit level is just barely enough to get by, then they probably will. On the other hand, if subsisting on benefits means barely getting by, it's liable to lead people into depression if they can't find work quickly...

100% MDR/EMTR

Earn £1, lose £1.

Work for nothing. And that's before you take into account the cost of working (transport to, time spent and sustenance in the form of food/clothing).

At least slaves of times gone by got housed and fed! Their slavery was work AND bread.

What's the best fix ... reducing the amount of jobseekers' allowance, or increasing the minimum wage?

Is that a rhetorical question?

I only ask as I think you have an answer. And it's neither of those.

If people can live comfortably on benefits, they may well decide not to bother working even for extra money - but if the benefit level is just barely enough to get by, then they probably will. On the other hand, if subsisting on benefits means barely getting by, it's liable to lead people into depression if they can't find work quickly...

A couple of years ago I went on a CBT course. It was mostly full of benefit claimants. Towards the end an advisor from the job centre came in to talk to each individually. The lady asked all leading questions, one being, "I know you won't want to work because it's not worth it money wise, you're better off on the dole", "No love I work hard running my own little business", but she was telling them how to play the system, no wonder they didn't think work was a good idea!

We have a large community who all seem to have strong connections, how can educated brits not influence this despicable routine practice...?

It forgets to add that the vast majority of benefits claimants are actually working.

If you are including things like child benefit (the recipients of which are of course benefit claimants), then you would most likely be right. However, no one relies on child benefit alone to live on as a household income (and it's unaffected for people who find work of less than about £50k anyway), so there would be no reason to mention it on a programme about looking for work.

What about low wages & lack of work?

The dole is only going up by 5.2% because the average cost of goods & services has gone up that much, it's linked to price inflation. If your wages didn't go up by at least that amount then you need to complain to your employer because you've effectively taken a pay cut. Usually wages rise faster than price inflation (that hasn't been true for the last 4 years, but in the long term it's true), so yes, benefits should be tied to wage inflation rather than price inflation.

Archived