William nuttall, handsworth.

I own A E C Mammoth Major 6 registration YWJ 548G, which according to the manufacturers build record was supplied to the city of Sheffield engineers dept. being a heavy haulage tractor unit i suppose for use with a low loader for moving heavy plant,

Anyone remember this lorry, are there any photos to confirm the colour whilst with sheffield it then passed to a company named William Nuttall of Quarry Lane as i wish to restore it to the same colour ect it sports an excellent crew cab which i imagine was fitted from new, i am based in Loughborough and will return the vehicle once finished to a transport show.

David Hopkins.

• 2 weeks later...

I am restoring an aec mammoth major 6 tractor unit registration

ywj 548g which was owned by william nuttall of quarry lane,

handsworth, sheffield, from around 1978, new to sheffield engineers

department in 1969, i am looking for any information on this lorry no matter how small.

If anyone has photos i will cover expenses, this will assist in the restoration.david hopkins.

I remember going to Nuttalls scrap yard around that time they ran a few lorries,the main thing I recall was the Alsation they had chained up, nasty beast. I thought you would have had some responce as they were well known all over Sheffield.

I remember Nuttalls very well,it was behind the houses on Hall Road Handsworth, I remember the dog also foxes in the yard,and the cracks in the floor of the yard glowing with fire, it being built on an old slag heap.. They were very protective of their scrap cars,only letting you in if they liked the look of you. The had a fenced off section with "class" scrap in Old Jags, Chevrolet Bel Airs, and I remember a Goggomobile ( You'll have to google it) Loads of GPO Commer vans.. I seem to recall some of our wagons being recovered by them, probably only gone in the last 25 or so years so hopefully you'll get some ex employee with more details.

You are all correct in what you say aboiut Nutalls site at Handsworth. They also had a site full of old railway waggons which were being broken up for scrap (mid to late 1950's), that was on Staniforth Road, on the right hand side goping towards Attercliffe and at the Darnall side of the railway bridge

Their HQ was a garage on Greenland Road, where they did both car and lorry repairs. They had a fleet of trucks which were on contract to firms in Sheffield. They also did crane hire and had one or two heavy lift cranes (ex MoD units). Their main mechanic was a German guy we all called Konrad

It was started by William Henry Nuttall (W.H.Nuttall and Sons Limited) before Worls War II. He had 2 sons, who livbed in the semi detahced house at the side of their garage. The oldest was Bill and the youngest was Ernest. Both will be dead nopw, or at least mid to late 90's.

I worked there in the school holidays in md 50's because they were friends of my fathers. Mainly through Ernest being in the Royal Navy during World War II as one of my dads engineers.

Bill was mainly at the garage working, but Ernest was always out taking scrap from one of their sites to the steelworks. He was a small guy and so his truck was a Commer Karrier with small wheels. At the steelworks we always wenbt over the weighbridge with the spar wheel onm the truck, but when we came out we removed the spare wheel before weighing. Good times as a 16 year old

Old William Henry lived in a bungalow on Aughton Lane in Aston. He always drove a big engined Wolseley ex police car.

Father and sons were all quite small.

Their main source of vehilces was the MolD, and they went to every sale of MoD vehicles at Ruiddington - always bought a load of items

Hope this helps you in some way

Grey Eminence - State of Selangor DE - Malaysia

...It was started by William Henry Nuttall .... He had 2 sons, who livbed in the semi detahced house at the side of their garage. The oldest was Bill and the youngest was Ernest. Both will be dead nopw, or at least mid to late 90's...
Just for the record:

William Henry Nuttall, born Chesterfield Oct-Dec 1886, married Polly Moore, 1910, died Rother Valley Jan-Mar 1963

William H. Nuttall, born Sheffield 13 October 1913, died N.E. Lincs. September 1996

Ernest Nuttall, born Sheffield 26 January 1917, died Sheffield July 1988

• 2 weeks later...

Archived