Bone grafts for foot operations

I had mine done at Northern General and it was a Mr Fellows. I managed fine with the crutches after a while but it was hard at first as you can't even put your foot on the floor. I used to have a stool in the bathroom so that I could stand on one leg with my bad one knelt on the stool. Same in the kitchen doing things. You will either have to have a bath with your leg hung over the side or a little stool in the shower and your leg in a plastic bag. I had an air boot after 6 weeks and that was a lot better. Then I had an insole and had to wear lace up shoes that is when you have to learn to walk again on a skinny thin leg :roll: Rosie my hip doesn't hurt at all I have just had a press to make sure. I don't have to wear my insoles any more now but it is only in the last couple of years that I have not needed them. I had special ones made at the hospital little half ones I had to wear them in both shoes even though I only had one foot done.

Hope it all goes well for you and if you need any tips on getting around on one leg send me a pm I got to be an expert.

I had mine done at Northern General and it was a Mr Fellows. I managed fine with the crutches after a while but it was hard at first as you can't even put your foot on the floor. I used to have a stool in the bathroom so that I could stand on one leg with my bad one knelt on the stool. Same in the kitchen doing things. You will either have to have a bath with your leg hung over the side or a little stool in the shower and your leg in a plastic bag. I had an air boot after 6 weeks and that was a lot better. Then I had an insole and had to wear lace up shoes that is when you have to learn to walk again on a skinny thin leg :roll: Rosie my hip doesn't hurt at all I have just had a press to make sure. I don't have to wear my insoles any more now but it is only in the last couple of years that I have not needed them. I had special ones made at the hospital little half ones I had to wear them in both shoes even though I only had one foot done.

Hope it all goes well for you and if you need any tips on getting around on one leg send me a pm I got to be an expert.

Ahh im under mr flowers..oh yes thank i might come to you when im out for that then ive been thinking what im going to do. Yeh he did say i might hve one of those on but some people dont depends what the person wants. Because could you drive with the air boot on? eeek scared did you have physio? Was you in pain the moment you woke up or did it take a while to come on?

Thanks i hope so too even tho im terrified. Just out of interest was you very old when you had it done im only 23 think the younger you have it best its meant to be

I was very old yes:hihi: 61 when I had mine done at your age you will be fine . Try not to worry about it it is an operation that has been performed many times. It might be a long slow recovery but to be pain free is a bonus and without the operation it would only get worse. I can now walk over 10 miles pain free. Will you have help at home when you come out?

Ahh im under mr flowers..oh yes thank i might come to you when im out for that then ive been thinking what im going to do. Yeh he did say i might hve one of those on but some people dont depends what the person wants. Because could you drive with the air boot on? eeek scared did you have physio? Was you in pain the moment you woke up or did it take a while to come on?

Sorry it was Mr Flowers that I had a very nice man he is as well. No I couldn't drive with the boot on and mine was my left foot. I had even considered not taxing my car for 6 months as it was about that long before I could drive again.

Sorry it was Mr Flowers that I had a very nice man he is as well. No I couldn't drive with the boot on and mine was my left foot. I had even considered not taxing my car for 6 months as it was about that long before I could drive again.

Yeh he did say id be able to take it off if i had it i should be okay we shall see he did say i would be able to drive after 6 weeks its to be hoped i can though because ill have 1 week still in my pot after my mum and dad go away. Ill be with them for 5 weeks i think then back at my house dont think id be able to manage alone. He did say for 4 weeks for certain i cant put my foot down but doesnt matter after that because some people drive after 4 weeks everyones different though i guess. You didnt end up having to have it fused together did you so you have no movement in your foot at all? He told me if i was to wait till im 40 id end up having it fused which isnt good. Do decided to be daring i only saw him on wed and im going next week argh cant think straight. How long was you in hosp for? sorry for all the questions

I was in hospital for 4 days they wait until you can get about ok on your crutches. I had an epidural in my spine for pain relief for the first 2 days and had to stop in bed then soon got used to the crutches and was up and about. I didn't have it fused thankfully because I have heard that is when you get lot's of arthritis. I was told it would be 6 weeks before I could drive but then told I could not as the tendon was not strong enough you could be different. If you are staying with your Mum and Dad you should be fine and by the time they go away you will be much stronger. The first 2 weeks are the worst so don't go on how you first feel you will soon feel much better. I am sure with you only being young your recovery will be much faster but just don't overdo it at first build up what you do slowly.

I was in hospital for 4 days they wait until you can get about ok on your crutches. I had an epidural in my spine for pain relief for the first 2 days and had to stop in bed then soon got used to the crutches and was up and about. I didn't have it fused thankfully because I have heard that is when you get lot's of arthritis. I was told it would be 6 weeks before I could drive but then told I could not as the tendon was not strong enough you could be different. If you are staying with your Mum and Dad you should be fine and by the time they go away you will be much stronger. The first 2 weeks are the worst so don't go on how you first feel you will soon feel much better. I am sure with you only being young your recovery will be much faster but just don't overdo it at first build up what you do slowly.

Could you not feel the epidural? Take it you had a catheter in then as well? Guess ill just have to wait and see. Im not sure i just know its not good at all so good job i caught it whilst i was young its got a lot worst in 5 years though i only saw him on wed didnt expect it to happen this soon. Yeh he said the first two weeks are key that i have a lot of support. Did you have physio after? I will do :) Ill be scared of falling over on the crutches anyways

Could you not feel the epidural? Take it you had a catheter in then as well? Guess ill just have to wait and see. Im not sure i just know its not good at all so good job i caught it whilst i was young its got a lot worst in 5 years though i only saw him on wed didnt expect it to happen this soon. Yeh he said the first two weeks are key that i have a lot of support. Did you have physio after? I will do :) Ill be scared of falling over on the crutches anyways

This is where you will be better off in Thornbury . I should have had a catheter fitted but they didn't it was only when I felt sick and in awful pain that they realised this I was brought a bed pan. It took me ages to get on it and it nearly overflowed that was about 14 hours after my op!!! And 2 jugs of water later. They had put me in a ward for people that only stayed in overnight and not even thought about me not feeling the need to go. I couldn't feel the epidural though and they reduced it gradually waiting for me to feel the pain but I never did I think that was because they had damaged the nerve though. I never fell over on my crutches don't worry you will be fine you can always go upstairs and down on your bum if you have to.:hihi:

My daughter had an operation on her foot by Mr flowers last year not the same op but she had it in Thornbury and her treatment was excellent not at all like my experience.

Archived