I want to rent our caravan out but hubby's not keen

We bought a clean tidy 6 berth caravan last yr, wasn't expensive, but we've done quite a bit to it, it lovely and clean. Now as my hubby's not retiring untill next year we're not going to get to it as much as we'd like to..:(

As the ground rent is pretty expensive I thought about renting it out to supplement it. My hubby doesn't want to,can't stand the idea of strange people sleeping in our beds..

Does anyone on here do this? If so do you have problems?..:)

I'd be leery, especially if you've cleaned it so it's nice, but I know people who rent out vacation homes, but only to those they know, and it seems to work.

My personal feeling is that renters will trash it, and a deposit won't begin to cover the damage. What about your insurance? Better check the terms of your policy, it might forbid you renting.

Having worked one summer, long, long ago at a car rental agency, I can tell you. People are pigs. The things they found in those cars when cleaning them. Ay Carumba! Even worse was a car not getting cleaned and a customer finding something. I was afraid to answer the phone some days.

I guess it depends on where the 'van is, and how much you charge.

I expect a £1,000 a week caravan in Southwold or somewherre is less likely to get mistreated than a £150 a week one in a less 'upmarket' location.

Perhaps rent it out to friends and family at a bargain rate just so you can cover some of the ground rent? Or make enough profit from renting it to strangers to replace the mattress if that is your other half's main objection :)

We've been renting out our cottage since 2005 - yes, to strangers! We've had no significant damage in all that time, although we seem to get a better sort of renters now that we handle bookings ourselves. When we started out we let it through an agency and saw a lot more mess, I think the lack of the personal touch made people less respectful. If you're uneasy about it they do say taking a hefty damage deposit will concentrate the minds of your paying guests.

We bought a clean tidy 6 berth caravan last yr, wasn't expensive, but we've done quite a bit to it, it lovely and clean. Now as my hubby's not retiring untill next year we're not going to get to it as much as we'd like to..:(

As the ground rent is pretty expensive I thought about renting it out to supplement it. My hubby doesn't want to,can't stand the idea of strange people sleeping in our beds..

Does anyone on here do this? If so do you have problems?..:)

Having strange people in my bed could add a little excitement to an otherwise drab life.Your husband is being very loyal and is perhaps alarmed by your desire to share your facilities,intimate and otherwise.

I own a holiday home which I rent out. I just rent it to family, friends and friends of friends. I would never dream of letting strangers go there. It works very well for us .

If you don't rent to strangers wouldn't that make friends of friends just friends?

A few years ago we bought a brand new one and circumstances changed so that we wasnt able to use it as much so decided to rent it out. I deliberately priced it high thinking this would detere riff raff. But it got trashed everytime. The 1st time somebody had smeard poo alover the toilet. Then after that it was thinks like every light bulb been removed, pots and pans and oven not been washed just stashed. Food trod in the carpets and seats. The lock on the door being smashed. Beds piddled on. Etc.. after 1 season we sold it the stress was to much :(

At the precise moment that I pressed the "submit reply" button it crossed my mind that some smarty pants would come up with a comment like yours. I did not edit my comment as I wished to see if my thoughts proved to be correct. Indeed they did!:roll:

Nah, none of that happened really did it. You're just trying to divert attention away from your slip up aren't ya! :hihi:

Archived