Do schools & NHS put too emphasis on healthy eating?

I mean how difficult is it to understand that fruit & veg is generally good for you and too many burgers aren't? Why does this message cost the NHS and schools billions?

There is so many policies, initiatives and targets, do we really need to spend billions telling people the obvious? And if some people don't care and like eating junk food then shouldn't that be their wish?

Or if they're too stupid to understand this then maybe its natural selection?

Plus I rarely see over weight children and rarer still obese ones, same goes for adults, no doubt obesity has risen but i don't think its an epidemic, and if we are living longer now than ever before then maybe been a bit more plump is good for us?

I think It's because there is a generation gap. Not only are they trying to makesure the kids grow up to be alright but they are hoping it will filter up to the parents who are giving them junk food at home.

Think of it as positive pester power.

Also I presume they've done their sums and work out that spending now will save the nhs money in the long run (though maybe not)

I mean how difficult is it to understand that fruit & veg is generally good for you and too many burgers aren't? Why does this message cost the NHS and schools billions?

There is so many policies, initiatives and targets, do we really need to spend billions telling people the obvious? And if some people don't care and like eating junk food then shouldn't that be their wish?

Plus I rarely see over weight children and rarer still obese ones, same goes for adults, no doubt obesity has risen but i don't think its an epidemic, and if we are living longer now than ever before then maybe been a bit more plump is good for us?

Your last sentence sums up why these initiatives are needed "being a bit plump" used to be "fat" - now because everyone is larger the parameters of what "fat" is have changed ; evident by the fact that you don't see any overweight or obese children (they are everywhere!).

And its not the current "plump" people who are living longer - its the current older generation who were not fat when younger.

I doubt it's £billions, but general point taken. I'd spend a lot more of that money on decent home economics classes for kids, get them into cooking good food.

One of my ex partners is a 'Healthy Working Lives' officer for the NHS. She used to go round businesse/schools etc: Giving advice on healthy eating in the workplace canteens bla bla bla.

Funny thing is,when she came home at night,she would stick chicken nuggets in the oven for her little boy.(most nights)

Like MJ I think you are exaggerating the expense but I believe the hope is that educating people now will save the NHS far more in the future.

Obesity appears to be a job creation scheme and so the merry go round goes on and on.

When you look at this image, there are very few overweight kids in the picture and there weren't any obesity experts, or initiatives before 1990. The kids also look happy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131790/When-playtime-wasnt-ruled-elf-safety.html

As it stands Obesity will not be eliminated and so the only people who will benefit will be the ones who get paid very good salarys as a result.

The bottom line this.... If people spend all day eating junk food and too much sitting down in front of the sofa or the playstation = fat person is the likely outcome

In the olden days kids were outside playing and so the last thing on a childs mind was the need to munch on some pizza as he/she was climbing up a tree, riding on a bike or building dens in a field somewhere. Kids were running around playing (not eating) and so generally only ate at dinner times.

If you yourself were to sit infront of a TV what do you do? many people (adults) drink a glass of wine, have some food. Food and TV go hand in hand.

These initiatives cost an absolute fortune and create well paid jobs for a few. The money would be better spent on aiding grass roots sports clubs, allowing the instructor to have a free CRB check and paying the room rent for the instructor to hire out a hall. The instructor could then drop the fees back to £3 a go and he/she would not be worried about lack of numbers and his/her sports club folding (as often happens)

The obseity industry is growing and will continue to do so, slimming pills, never ending diets and of course government schemes.

If grassroots sport was to return, or kids did return to playing outside then obesity would be solved and many people would lose their jobs. Take a look at that picture and the root cause of why kids of the 1970s were not obese is clear for all to see.

Archived