Brick making yard on Archer Road

Shogun

When I was a lad I lived on Archer road Millhouses and I can remember this yard at the end of the road going towards the park where Sainsburys are now, there was a massive furnace and tall chimney loads of flames and smoke, what was it and did anyone on SF ever worked there or has some information or memories of the place.

When were you a lad? That sounds more like Laycock Engineering Ltd than anything?

The office were in a 30s style block alongside the road itself. and the furnace and the shop floor were down a long drive. It was a pretty big site in its day. almost everyone in South Sheffield seemed to work there at one time or another.

When were you a lad? That sounds more like Laycock Engineering Ltd than anything?

The office were in a 30s style block alongside the road itself. and the furnace and the shop floor were down a long drive. It was a pretty big site in its day. almost everyone in South Sheffield seemed to work there at one time or another.[/QUOT

1970s time no it was nothing to do with laycocks it was sort of at the end of Archer road just before the road goes up to Hutcliffe wood yes I can remember Laycocks it was a massive place my Dad was always moneing about the sound of this big hammer press thing that used go all night it would shake our house sometimes.

I worked a LEL in the mid 60s but don't remember a brick works. Although thinking about it, there is a 'cliff face' all along there behind Aldi, similar to the one on Chesterfield Road where Homebase is now, so there probably was a brick works at some time.

ISTR a car sales pitch somewhere along there, but nowt else. It should be marked on old maps, or wonder if there's anything on Picture Sheffield?

The office were in a 30s style block alongside the road itself. and the furnace and the shop floor were down a long drive. It was a pretty big site in its day. almost everyone in South Sheffield seemed to work there at one time or another.[/QUOT

1970s time no it was nothing to do with laycocks it was sort of at the end of Archer road just before the road goes up to Hutcliffe wood yes I can remember Laycocks it was a massive place my Dad was always moneing about the sound of this big hammer press thing that used go all night it would shack our house sometimes.

Hi.

I think the works belong to Pickford-Holland and made refractory bricks for furnaces, not regular bricks.

Once-upon-a-time, the clay for the bricks came from the quarry/mine on the opposite side of Archer Road.

Regards

I worked a LEL in the mid 60s but don't remember a brick works. Although thinking about it, there is a 'cliff face' all along there behind Aldi, similar to the one on Chesterfield Road where Homebase is now, so there probably was a brick works at some time.

ISTR a car sales pitch somewhere along there, but nowt else. It should be marked on old maps, or wonder if there's anything on Picture Sheffield?

Here you are, Marriott Wood Brick Works 1950's

Its the same as that building on the end of archer road just before it comes to the traffic lights on the left there is a strange military looking building, apparently it was a cop shop at one time but I could never remember it as one, I think it was a wine sales shop at one time not sure what it is at the moment,it has a sort of court yard and large gated entrance with them old cart wheel blocks on ether corner,another one of them buildings you just pass every day but if you have a good look at it you can see what it was once.

Fantastic map pippo I can remember that quarry across the road it was a real adventure play ground full of frogs and newts and that tunnel was still there as well, mountain climbing and mud to keep you happy the kids of nowadays don't what they are missing, see if you can run that map a bit along for me to the end of the road and see if that building is there on it I mentioned.

Archived