Brick making yard on Archer Road

Shogun

Its the same as that building on the end of archer road just before it comes to the traffic lights on the left there is a strange military looking building, apparently it was a cop shop at one time but I could never remember it as one, I think it was a wine sales shop at one time not sure what it is at the moment,it has a sort of court yard and large gated entrance with them old cart wheel blocks on ether corner,another one of them buildings you just pass every day but if you have a good look at it you can see what it was once.
I think it's an Italian restaurant at the moment. I had a fantasy about buying that property and living there at one time, but ended up in Woodseats in the end. Also that little closed public loo opposite. How cute was that! Especially when it used to have flowers planted in the basket under the window.

I think it's an Italian restaurant at the moment. I had a fantasy about buying that property and living there at one time, but ended up in Woodseats in the end. Also that little closed public loo opposite. How cute was that! Especially when it used to have flowers planted in the basket under the window.

That loo across from that old cop shop was a fantastic den it had a sort of top to it that made real good den when we were lads it was our gang headquarters;)

That loo across from that old cop shop was a fantastic den it had a sort of top to it that made real good den when we were lads it was our gang headquarters;)
I'm so jealous, was never allowed to go in there, as it was a Gents.

I'd loved to have bought it when it closed, have it demolished and rebuilt in my garden as a shed or something ... yeah, I know, I'm seriously weird! ;)

At the back of Moscar cottages was an old railway yard that they used to fix trains there, with all-sorts of things there to climb on and play in, there was a war time sort of air raid spotters building that had some steps up to it it was like a castle to us there was a load of tunnels around there as well some off them ran up to Archer road and under the bridge a real adventure play ground.

Although the area seemed sort off rural there was a lot of industry there and it was a very busy area at one time there were loads of people working in the area I can remember it was very noisy at the time with the co op rattling bottles and the big hammer going at Laycocks and the sweet smell of chocolate and sweets permeating the area from the Thorntons factory and the wiff from the pig farm on the Hutcliffe wood top area.

Although the area seemed sort off rural there was a lot of industry there and it was a very busy area at one time there were loads of people working in the area I can remember it was very noisy at the time with the co op rattling bottles and the big hammer going at Laycocks and the sweet smell of chocolate and sweets permeating the area from the Thorntons factory and the wiff from the pig farm on the Hutcliffe wood top area.

HIYA i worked at laycocks from 1964 and the brickyard was where the offices of laycock and the bend of archer rd opposite the bottom of hutcliffwood rdthe brick kilns were around where the the back of where sainsburys is now.

on reading an earlier letter it was pickford hollands,

HIYA i worked at laycocks from 1964 and the brickyard was where the offices of laycock and the bend of archer rd opposite the bottom of hutcliffwood rd

the brick kilns were around where the the back of where sainsburys is now.

I worked there from '63 to '67, most of the time as one of the office juniors in Production Control. I used to call in at Thorntons on the way home on payday and buy mis-shapes for my mother.

HIYA i worked at laycocks from 1964 and the brickyard was where the offices of laycock and the bend of archer rd opposite the bottom of hutcliffwood rdthe brick kilns were around where the the back of where sainsburys is now.

on reading an earlier letter it was pickford hollands,

Hi willybite what was that big hammer thing that used sound off every night boom boom all night it sounded like some sort of press or something my Dad was always moaning about it, mined you he dint moan when he got a cheap clutch for his Hillman minx from there.

Archived