New York shopping

Possibly, but nobody takes a record of how much jewellery you're wearing when you travel, so it's very unlikely that on the way home a customs officer will stop you and demand you prove that you had that watch or ring when you left!

Possibly, but nobody takes a record of how much jewellery you're wearing when you travel, so it's very unlikely that on the way home a customs officer will stop you and demand you prove that you had that watch or ring when you left!

Import duty is payable regardless of whether you get stopped at customs or not. The job of customs officials is to weed out the criminals trying to evade it; anyone who considers himself a law-abiding person won't be trying to evade it in the first place.

As to what the exact regulations are on import duties for jewellery, I wouldn't know.

Import duty is payable regardless of whether you get stopped at customs or not. The job of customs officials is to weed out the criminals trying to evade it; anyone who considers himself a law-abiding person won't be trying to evade it in the first place.

As to what the exact regulations are on import duties for jewellery, I wouldn't know.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/index.htm.

You're funny sometimes.

Fess up, your Leonard Nimoy :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if gold and diamonds are cheaper in NYC compared to the uk. I am going there in may.

Isn't everything cheaper in the US than in the Uk. Then gold ect should be cheaper to buy, but I would take a train to outside the big city, in 10 min you,d be in NJ one way and Ct the other, I'd say NJ would be cheaper.

Archived