New York shopping

Isn't everything cheaper in the US than in the Uk.
No.
Then gold ect should be cheaper to buy, but I would take a train to outside the big city, in 10 min you,d be in NJ one way and Ct the other, I'd say NJ would be cheaper.

Your base assumption is just wrong, not that much is cheaper at the end of the day.

We quite often think it's cheaper because we see prices before sales tax for the US and including sales tax for the UK, a bit misleading. And there are fluctuations depending on the dollar/pound rate obviously, but at the moment, not much difference.

No.

Your base assumption is just wrong, not that much is cheaper at the end of the day.

We quite often think it's cheaper because we see prices before sales tax for the US and including sales tax for the UK, a bit misleading. And there are fluctuations depending on the dollar/pound rate obviously, but at the moment, not much difference.

You're wrong, it can be cheaper ,depends where you are, the OP didn't say he was shopping for Gold coins, he said gold and diamonds, could be gold jewelery , those prices can vary , also State sales tax varies in different State too, also I'm sure there's places you can pay cash and scratch the tax.

You're wrong, it can be cheaper ,depends where you are, the OP didn't say he was shopping for Gold coins, he said gold and diamonds, could be gold jewelery , those prices can vary , also State sales tax varies in different State too, also I'm sure there's places you can pay cash and scratch the tax.

Tut tut! Your base assumption was this

"Isn't everything cheaper in the US than in the Uk"

No it isn't, so you are wrong.

As for "scratching the tax", you can do that here too.

No.

Sales tax varies state to state. In New Hampshire for instance, there is no state or income tax, which pleases MA and Ct immensely. Most states charge between 5 and 6 percent with exemptioin for food and clothing General pricing for most medium value cars is between $13,000 and $35,000. I've noticed that prices in UK for new cars is between 13,000 and 35,000 pounds, which makes them much more expensive( Sorry, but my keyboard has no quid sign on it, it does'nt have euros on it either). Friends who visit us from UK and Ireland marvel at the price of clothes here, including Levis denims. When I left UK, 43 years ago, friends warned me that a haircut would cost me a pound, when in UK it was about two shillings. So figurerd a haircut every two months would not make me skint, so I came anyway. I quickly found I could afford a 2 year old used Beetle for $850 paid for in two months, an apartment for $120 a month, petrol at 35c a gallon, and two weeks vacation pulling a popup camper for $200. Within a year I put down 10% down payment on a $16,000 new bungalow in Montreal. Times have changed for all of us over here and over there, but there are very much worse places to live than where you and I do.

Tut tut! Your base assumption was this

"Isn't everything cheaper in the US than in the Uk"

No it isn't, so you are wrong.

As for "scratching the tax", you can do that here too.

INever said everything was cheaper in the US, read it again slowly.... I was asking if it was, As for scratching the tax, you can do that anyplace, did I have to explain that too :loopy:

No, there's very little that actually costs less in the US than in the UK.

Why bother to ask a question if you're then going to tell me I'm wrong though.

Show me instead, what is cheaper.

As a tourist she'd never need to pay the tax, but that doesn't support your argument that the US is cheaper per se.

Archived