New York shopping

Sales tax varies state to state. In New Hampshire for instance, there is no state or income tax, which pleases MA and Ct immensely. Most states charge between 5 and 6 percent with exemptioin for food and clothing General pricing for most medium value cars is between $13,000 and $35,000. I've noticed that prices in UK for new cars is between 13,000 and 35,000 pounds, which makes them much more expensive( Sorry, but my keyboard has no quid sign on it, it does'nt have euros on it either). Friends who visit us from UK and Ireland marvel at the price of clothes here, including Levis denims. When I left UK, 43 years ago, friends warned me that a haircut would cost me a pound, when in UK it was about two shillings. So figurerd a haircut every two months would not make me skint, so I came anyway. I quickly found I could afford a 2 year old used Beetle for $850 paid for in two months, an apartment for $120 a month, petrol at 35c a gallon, and two weeks vacation pulling a popup camper for $200. Within a year I put down 10% down payment on a $16,000 new bungalow in Montreal. Times have changed for all of us over here and over there, but there are very much worse places to live than where you and I do.

You can't just compare 'new cars' you have to compare specifics. And if you compare european models are they any cheaper in the US?

I marvelled at the price of ted baker jeans in NYC, more than in the UK.

I looked at buying computer hardware, no significant saving on most things, food - costs at least as much (more in fact), beer, more, I didn't buy any petrol, that would have cost me less.

I did notice that best buy had large TVs cheaper than in the UK, but I didn't get into the details to do an exact comparison.

INever said everything was cheaper in the US, read it again slowly.... I was asking if it was, As for scratching the tax, you can do that anyplace, did I have to explain that too :loopy:

And when I said no you said I was wrong, so you must think it is.

You can't just compare 'new cars' you have to compare specifics. And if you compare european models are they any cheaper in the US?

I marvelled at the price of ted baker jeans in NYC, more than in the UK.

I looked at buying computer hardware, no significant saving on most things, food - costs at least as much (more in fact), beer, more, I didn't buy any petrol, that would have cost me less.

I did notice that best buy had large TVs cheaper than in the UK, but I didn't get into the details to do an exact comparison.

I only set out to compare certain costs, and at no time claimed everything was cheaper. European cars , except Volkswagen, are expensive but seem to be cheaper based on Clarkson. There are few French or Italian cars sold today. American and Japanese cars are similar in price, and Koreans an excellent choice for price and quality. I own two of them, of course. I pay 13 bucks for a haircut at my local barbers, which is no 'salon'. An apartment could cost me 800 to a thousand a month in my neck of the woods, considerably more in NYC, but I own my own house at 4 percent mortgage. I don't know where you visit here, but if it's the usual tourist traps it will cost you more. I spend my days checking the prices where I live and avoid the expensive places. I drive the 5 miles to Massachusetts to save a dime a gallon for gasoline. I pay $2 for a pint of Bud at my local pub, three for guiness, bass or Newcastle brown. I know for sure that's cheaper than Ireland, where I go most years. A mixed drink like a gimlet is 5 dollars, but the amount of liquor in it will be bigger than a British double, sometimes much bigger depending on your bartender. What in heaven's name are Ted Baker jeans? Surely you've heard of Levi, Levi Schwartz, inventor of denim. Even Canadians come south to buy them here, as well as sneakers, those "plimsolls" you all love. I never buy anything in NYC, except in Yonkers to buy Irish sausage and bacon, and to enjoy an Irish mixed grill at Rory's. They've seen you coming downtown. Best Buy is far from cheap. I bought a vizio 32 inch LCD tv at Walmart last year for $245, not the classiest TV or the classiest store but the HD works well. My living room TV is a 42inch Toshiba CRT bought twenty years ago and still as good as new. If I told Poppins you're comparing prices based on Times Square she'd laugh her head off:|

You don't spend your time in Ireland finding the cheapest place to buy beer though presumably.

I visit Brooklyn, it's not really a tourist trap, but it is expensive and a fair comparison would be some none central part of London I suppose.

I have heard of Levi, what's you point, Ted Baker was the band I wanted to buy, it's a well known brand that happens to be based in the UK.

I was talking about large TVs specifically, heading towards the 70" area. I noticed one for <$2000 which I'm pretty sure is cheaper than the UK (Not that I regularly shop for new massive TVs).

I never mentioned times square, didn't even go there in fact, I don't want my pocket picking. The food I was talking about is from the deli's where my sister in law regularly shops. These are the prices she has to pay all the time for food, for butter, milk, eggs, and a 6 pack of beer (that was for me), not tourist prices for a meal in a restaurant in central manhattan.

Archived