London marathon 2012

My dads doing it tommorow but iv just been searching links to the marathon on the web now and you can already apply to run for the 2013 marathon. virginlondonmarathon.com is the best site as i do believe its the official website. Im trying to find out if it will be worth a day out to London to show our support but with 38,000 runners i think its going to be mission impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going down the charity route, expect to have to raise at least a thousand pounds. It depends on the charity.

Otherwise, you have three options:

1) Get a time in a different marathon that is considered "good for age". For example a 35 year old male would need to post a sub 3.10 marathon before July.

2) Join a running club and apply for a place there. Every running club is allocated a small number of places (ours get 2 I think), and they hand them out to members. You'll probably need to enter a lottery to get one, some clubs only give them to members who have helped out at their events. Expect to be looked at with some suspicion if you join a club and immedaitely ask for a marathon place.

3) Apply for the ballot. This is the normal entry process. It will be oversubscribed by about 5x, so you've about a 5-1 chance of getting in. You used to be guaranteed an entry after 5 rejections in a row, but I think they've stopped this.

So basically it's either charity, or keep applying until you get lucky, which could take years.

OR....

Consider one of the hundreds of other marathons that you can easily enter. I ran the Amsterdam marathon twice by turning up and entering the day before, and I'm doing the 3 peaks marathon next Saturday, for which I just had to click a few buttons two months ago...

Here's a list of UK Marathons: http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/uk-marathon-list.php

My dads doing it tommorow but iv just been searching links to the marathon on the web now and you can already apply to run for the 2013 marathon. virginlondonmarathon.com is the best site as i do believe its the official website. Im trying to find out if it will be worth a day out to London to show our support but with 38,000 runners i think its going to be mission impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely get down, agree on a place where he knows you're there (in the second half of the course) and it will be easy to see him. He'll need you there. It's a great buzz in the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in London now and I did some volunteering for St John Ambulance for it.

For 2012 as part of the St John Ambulance team you had to raise at least £1600. There was about 160 in the team altogether.

Afterwards we did a reception for the runners with food, drink (non-alcoholic) and massage. Goody bag and all that too.

It was an amazing day and I was tied just helping with the logistics but watching everyone from the elites to fancy dress drifters at the end was amazing. I want to do the run next year now but raising the money will be hard.

Archived