What are my rights for a refund?

My Father bought my son a Toshiba laptop from Cash Converters in Scunthorpe last weekend, unfortunately the laptop is faulty with a number of the keys inoperative on the keyboard.

I rang the store up and spoke with the manager who told me i had to bring it back to Scunthorpe for a refund. I told him i am 57 miles away and 114 mile round trip is out of the question and would i be able to take it back to my local store.

Now i understand there are corporate stores and franchise stores and Scunthorpe is a corporate store so i should be able to take it back to another corporate store right? Wrong!

So this raises the question "Am I in rights to demand a cash refund from my local store?"

To be honest I'm not sure on this one.

You could try the following: Citizens Advice, Government's consumerline, Trading Standards.

Whatever you do, make sure it's within the period they state for returns.

If they are worth their salt as a retailer (and my experience unfortunately says they're not!) then they would negotiate courier delivery/return of item with you. It might be a start but insist that it's recorded delivery and they have to sign for receiving it.

You could also try ringing the Star Action Desk.

if u purchase something and have a receipt and you find that wat u bought is damaged or faulty u shud be entitiled to either exchange or refund dont understand y alot do give refunds wen u have the receipt its wrong

I dont want an exchange, i have since bought him one that works.

You aren't entitled to a refund at all, your father is (he is the one the contract is with).

On the other question, it depends on the definition of "seller" I suppose, if that is the company then you must be able to do it at any branch.

Yes but i now have the reciept as my parents are not in the UK at the moment. I rang the other corporate store and they tell me that it needs to go back to Scunthorpe.? this is why i am asking what my rights are.

I'm not certain, but I suspect that they can insist on you taking it back to the shop where it was bought.

I've never heard of a company doing that because it would be horrendously bad press - but legally, I don't think are obliged to accept a return anywhere else. It's just that usually the senior management have enough common sense to do so.

Cash Converters are I believe a franchise and as such each store is operated independently and is not part of a group. If that is so then the item needs to be returned to the store from which it was purchased from.

Another problem is that as these stores sell 2nd hand stuff the Sale of Goods Acts has limited power when dealing with 2nd hand goods.

Unfortunately buying 2nd hand goods from stores like these is always problem especially when the goods are faulty. Push for a refund but note that under their terms you may only be allowed a credit note.

The best thing to do would be to phone the local CAB or trading standards office and ask for advice.

You have a right to a refund which has been offered providing you go to the store it was bought at.

Don't be fooled into thinking if you kick up a fuss they will be forced to refund you in your local store as this simply isnt the case you have no legal standing here at all.

90% of the normal laws and legislations wont apply as you bought it in a second hand shop and im not sure about this but dont they work on a "sold as seen" basis which basically means its your risk.

Even if that isn't the case Cash Converters have done what they are legally obliged to do not what you want to hear but its true.

I wouldn't waste your time and money calling trading standards as you have no legal standing and you will be laughed at.

Sorry to be so blunt, but from the story in your OP it sounds to me like you'd get nowt, and like it (or not as the case may be).

Just chalk it up to experience.

Archived