Petition to stop dishonest scrapmen and make room for honest ones

If there's so much money to be made from scrap metal why don't the councils themselves do it?

It could be incorporated into the waste collection department.

They would most likely make a loss. Unless of course they thieved like the present thieves.

They already have waste metal departments, all over Sheffield. You have to take it though.

They would most likely make a loss. Unless of course they thieved like the present thieves.

They already have waste metal departments, all over Sheffield. You have to take it though.

We have a vehicle coming round regularly and it is always stocked up with scrap, if the driver was thieving he'd soon be reported.

I agree they'd probably make a loss because for every on the road operative they'd have ten office staff

Doing away with cash payments would be a good addition to your above. Which I believe is coming into force..or being considered.

most scrap yards pay cash because if they didn't nobody would use them...the best scrap men.....are polite and ask or leave a note....to call back later...

it doesn't take too many household appliances...to fill the truck...

a good scrapper can earn over a grand a week....and have built up their customers over many years..

once the price drops the rouge traders will disappear...hopefully

We have a vehicle coming round regularly and it is always stocked up with scrap, if the driver was thieving he'd soon be reported.

I agree they'd probably make a loss because for every on the road operative they'd have ten office staff

If he hasnt been reported then he will no doubt be doing it legally - if so good on him - not got a problem with Honest ones like him - i know some do want to make an honest living from it and if they help people get rid of their rubbish scrap then all the better

But its the ones who arent doing it legally that we want to get shut off - as they just helping themselves to people gates, kids bikes, trampoline and swing sets (using tools to take apart and ragging them out of ground) - these are the ones we want and need to report

and yeah council would no doubt make a loss if they did it - but at minute - its costing in police time and money - so the council still need to get this sorted and quick - then they can get on with their jobs, the police are free to sort out bigger crimes (ie murder cases) and we the general public can go out without worrying bout having our kids stuffed nicked

so if you do see any that are doing it illegally please report them and also advise the ones you know to be doing legally to do so too - cos if we get the dishonest ones out of thieving - then it leaves more scrap and money for the honest ones - so the honest ones win too

most scrap yards pay cash because if they didn't nobody would use them...the best scrap men.....are polite and ask or leave a note....to call back later...

it doesn't take too many household appliances...to fill the truck...

a good scrapper can earn over a grand a week....and have built up their customers over many years..

once the price drops the rouge traders will disappear...hopefully

this is why we want to make it harder for them to get a licence to trade too - ie they have to show a business plan to council - like using business cards with a note to call back as you said - or if they dont wanna walk round could put a page on facebook advertising - word gets round quick enough on there

and also maybe having hand held loud speakers so they dont have to get out of van - (anyone seen walking at side of van will be reported (if card dropping should leave van in one place to do this so not give them excuse too) - given a warning first and then licence took off them second time) and if we all stick together and report them breaking the licence terms - it will leave room for the Honest ones who are trying to make a living (as its not the honest ones we have problem with - they do help people get rid of unwanted stuff) but the Dishonest ones are giving them all a bad name at the minute and we want to help stop that for them and for all of us = thanks

Ps if they making that much money i may just get a truck myself lol -

this is why we want to make it harder for them to get a licence to trade too - ie they have to show a business plan to council - like using business cards with a note to call back as you said - or if they dont wanna walk round could put a page on facebook advertising - word gets round quick enough on there

and also maybe having hand held loud speakers so they dont have to get out of van - (anyone seen walking at side of van will be reported (if card dropping should leave van in one place to do this so not give them excuse too) - given a warning first and then licence took off them second time) and if we all stick together and report them breaking the licence terms - it will leave room for the Honest ones who are trying to make a living (as its not the honest ones we have problem with - they do help people get rid of unwanted stuff) but the Dishonest ones are giving them all a bad name at the minute and we want to help stop that for them and for all of us = thanks

Ps if they making that much money i may just get a truck myself lol -

pps - or advertise on here too lol

Archived