Would you like an EU Referendum?

Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

The main reason many of the hard left europhyles love the EU and our membership of it so much is because to them its one in the eye for the tory class establishment here, any removal of powers from them can only be a good thing to the commies.

I shall vote yes but it wont happen until at least two countries have gone totally kaput. Labour said they would and didn't and I believe Tories did the same and lib dems have always been unashamedly pro Europe. Even if we did have one are the government obligated to carry it out ? I'm sure someone (denmark ?)had at least two until they got a yes vote for going into Europe ?

Even if we did have one are the government obligated to carry it out ?

In law, no. A referendum in the UK is not legally binding.

In practice, though, is another question. If a government held a referendum on subject X, a large majority voted in favour, and the government refused to pass it - how well do you think that government would fare at the next election?

We do have it, every five years at least; people consistently refuse to vote for any party which intends to remove us from the EU.

It because most of us dont trust UKIP. Heres a few recent links of one of their members....

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/04/tom-bursnall-should-unemployed-have-vote/

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/04/alexandra-swann-unemployed-voting/

It worth remembering that the Green Party did vote (Caroline Lucas) in Parliament for a referendum. However, i think they would still back staying in the EU in its present form.

Archived