Would you like an EU Referendum?

Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a referendum on our membership of the EU?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

What's with the rude post? We are only discussing politics, was there a need for it?

Anyway back on topic. If the EU countries didn't have the freedom to borrow vast sums of money to fund very generous public spending projects, and they were also forced to implement an efficient tax collection system it is questionable whether the Eurozone would be in the state that it's in.

If the EU could only balance & audit its books it would be a start.

If the Eurozone countries integrated their taxation and spending policies it's arguable whether the EU would be in the current situation.

But thats the problem, no one wants all the European countries to effectively merge into one.

If the EU is such a good thing then you have to wonder why the politicians (of all sides) don't want us to have a say on it...

Oh but we DO have a say on it, there are Eurosceptic parties out there to vote for! :roll: thats the ridiculous responce europhyles always give to questions like that.

Its worth noting that Britain sends more Euro-sceptic MEP's to Brussel's, or wherever it is, than pro EU MEP's.

Oh but we DO have a say on it, there are Eurosceptic parties out there to vote for! :roll: thats the ridiculous responce europhyles always give to questions like that.

Its worth noting that Britain sends more Euro-sceptic MEP's to Brussel's, or wherever it is, than pro EU MEP's.

All parties have promised us a referendum at one point or another.

We are still waiting....

Should we have to vote for UKIP, a one issue party, to get us out of Europe, and then put up with them for 5 years in Government?

All parties have promised us a referendum at one point or another.

We are still waiting....

Should we have to vote for UKIP, a one issue party, to get us out of Europe, and then put up with them for 5 years in Government?

I remember the referendum party who's plan I believe was to win the election, get us out of the EU, make it legally binding, then immediately hold another general election. They got 800.000 votes in the election in 1997 but didn't get a seat in the house of commons.

Nothing stopping someone setting up a single issue party to get us out of Europe then call another election. In fact there's nothing stopping UKIP from doing this themselves, but I have a feeling their MEPs are quite happy riding the gravy train themselves to do anything to rash.

Anyway - to have a proper referendum, we'd need a frank and honest debate about the pro's and con's of membership. I don't think we can do that right now - there are far too many people who refuse to acknowledge that there are positive/negatives (depending on their stance) to being in the EU preventing them being able to look at the subject rationally. Most people these days don't actually understand what the EU does - we need to correct that before we can have that debate, because otherwise it's just a decision made based on predjudices, distrust and lies (there are plenty of them on both sides of the argument).

Nothing stopping someone setting up a single issue party to get us out of Europe then call another election. In fact there's nothing stopping UKIP from doing this themselves, but I have a feeling their MEPs are quite happy riding the gravy train themselves to do anything to rash.

Anyway - to have a proper referendum, we'd need a frank and honest debate about the pro's and con's of membership. I don't think we can do that right now - there are far too many people who refuse to acknowledge that there are positive/negatives (depending on their stance) to being in the EU preventing them being able to look at the subject rationally. Most people these days don't actually understand what the EU does - we need to correct that before we can have that debate, because otherwise it's just a decision made based on predjudices, distrust and lies (there are plenty of them on both sides of the argument).

Pro-EU parties like Labour, the LibDems and the Greens point to the positive things that Britain does indeed experience as a member of the EU, but many of these things are nothing that we couldn't experience being out of the EU.....I'm sure a party governing a Britain not in the EU could bring in a 48 hour legal working limit for instance, if it wanted to.

Archived